Kega Alternatives (for VGM logging)?

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

Hi,

I'm having problems logging some sets like Fantastic Dizzy and Cosmic Spacehead. Kega logs the vgms with annoying sounds which aborts any possibility to make a proper set.

Seeking a solution, I found a Gems version with vgm logging. I don't know if its more or less accurate than Kega, but it logs those games without any issue. Sounds different, probably not good at all, but at least it works.

The question here is, which vgm logger exists besides Kega, and which one could I (us) use to finish this gigantic project, without renounce quallity? Thanks

See ya
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I used to use MAME/MESS for logging, but I noticed that its cycle times (and thus DAC pitches) are pretty off.
So I think Kega Fusion 3.64 is the best choice for logging VGMs right now.

Using GEMSPlay is a no-go because it's a reimplementation that behaves different from the original in a few cases.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

And what happens with the Gens/GS r7 you posted in VGMRips? I tried with Fantastic Dizzy and it sounds fine to me (Pretty similar to Kega, but free of noise). I'm note sure if would be more technical specs differences that make it less accurate, but I don't find any alternative for those pretty dammed sets of Codemasters-

See ya

P.S: I answer your last PM, hope it can help.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Gens/GS' VGM logs are slightly less accurate than the ones Fusion does.
(Gens in general emulates every "per scanline", so it's internal accuracy is about 16 KHz instead of the 44 KHz that VGMs allow.)
This can make a difference for DAC samples that are played on the YM2612 (or PSG).
It's not really a problem for the SCD-PCM chip due to the way the chip works. Raw 32X logs can be a bit noisier, but the PWM data can be aligned post editing.

tl;dr: Gens/GS works "well enough" for SCD and 32X stuff, but Fusion is the preferred choice.