Project2612

*List of Missing games/sets* [Updated 4/20/2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby Monkeymook » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:08 am

donluca wrote:Is there an estimate on when the updated (and new) VGMs will go live?

Unfortunately, there is not. But rest assured, I'm finally back to working on the sets (after frig knows how long), and Doommaster has informed me that they have some things to take care of before this. We also have drdevil as a new team member to working on the sets, so time is of the essence right now, since there haven't been very many 100% official updates since last year. I also still have yet to figure out if VB would be willing to make small, incremental updates (2-3) packs at a time to the site after I FTP them to the server, or prefer to do massive updates (10+) packs at a time.


donluca wrote:Also, can you guys provide a single file download containing all the VGM packs?

I personally don't find this unreasonable to do, but the questions are as follows:

Torrents? Yes or no? Is the community interested?
Dedicated hosting? Yes? No? Where? Reliability and download speed of hosted files? Size limitations? Expiration of hosted files? What about updates? Once a month? A week?

donluca wrote:One last thing: as the project grows, you may want to give a .dat file containing information on the current sets so people can use it to check if their vgm sets are up to date using clrmamepro (or any other software alike)

I definitely agree with you here, especially considering the following:

For the set updates, how do we determine what the new revision number is? Do we base it on tenths or whole amounts? Like 1.00 is the first version. Is 1.10 the new updated set, or is 2.00? Any idea?

I'm still in the dark as to this, as there don't seem to be any set rules on how to mark txt updates in increments.

This would be something that I think VB would probably be better suited to do, as they seem to be much more intimately familiar with the structures of logs and how data is differentiated between updates and changes.

VallyBell, what do you think? Would that be a possibility? Or worth the time? And if there was to be dedicated hosting for the large pack file as well, then would it be possible to host it here on the site, or would it be better served on an external host?
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby vampirefrog » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:48 am

Yo where's that dropbox folder?
vampirefrog
New Around Here
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:19 pm

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby Monkeymook » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Shoot me your email and I'll set you up. :)
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby TEOL » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:47 pm

I vote on that we should have a new beta sets downloads page. Then someone can just FTP all the beta updates overnight and people can check and verify ect and if fine a swap over to the normal downloads page can happen.

That would mean we will have the latest on the site with less waiting and the main checking people can also check when they are ready in their own time which means if they want to take years they can at least the quick beta upload would be there to listen to and enjoy straight away before checking has happened.

Definitely there are missing games from the list as well like Mr. Nutz 2 - Hoppin' Mad (Europe Proto).
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby Monkeymook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 pm

TEOL wrote:I vote on that we should have a new beta sets downloads page. Then someone can just FTP all the beta updates overnight and people can check and verify ect and if fine a swap over to the normal downloads page can happen.

That would mean we will have the latest on the site with less waiting and the main checking people can also check when they are ready in their own time which means if they want to take years they can at least the quick beta upload would be there to listen to and enjoy straight away before checking has happened.

I definitely like this idea, as it makes reviewing open to the community, which gives better opportunity to catch something that may not have been noticed before. Unfortunately, I cannot make a new site page, since VB knows how the site design is set up.

I can see if I have the option to create a forum specifically for said sets, wherein one singular post at the top contains links to all the packs that need to be reviewed.

TEOL wrote:Definitely there are missing games from the list as well like Mr. Nutz 2 - Hoppin' Mad (Europe Proto).

Thank you for this. I've added it to the "games that need to be logged" post.
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby ValleyBell » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:46 am

Monkeymook wrote:I cannot make a new site page, since VB knows how the site design is set up.
I know less of the site's structure than you think I do.
I can make minor modifications, but I'm not a web developer.

But we could make a new folder with not-yet-added packs that has simple file listing enabled.
ValleyBell
Board Regular
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 am

*List of Missing games/sets* [Updated 03/11/2016]

Postby TEOL » Wed May 25, 2016 9:00 am

ValleyBall is it possible to make a VGM logging tool using the M1FX source code because wow?!!!!? So nice I had to post my Cool Spot - Rave rip twice.

https://app.box.com/s/k0nbuj2vgc8vihh9eqwrhcn3tyfy4mir

This tool is definitely the way to go for the best VGM rips ever made as well as some VGM Combiner for the rare instance like Bart's Nightmare where it's surround sound and you have to VGM a lot of instrument channels in different rom banks and merge them into the 1.

For the plain Mono and Stereo games though it's beast even for hacking unused tracks although most of the unused cool spots are weird garbled audio remixes but still it's good for ones with good audio that were unused including SFX and for better versions of the used tracks on the normal Mono and Stereo ones as the Surround ones could be hard if aa VGM Files Channels Merger doesn't exist.

The source code for the M1FX program I posted in that talking about that GEMS program thread. Hopefully someone can also add the rest of the Megadrive library to the .xml and the 2612 arcade boards if they differ in the tune programming way to the MD revisions and MD Betas.

With a M1FX VGM and Wave Logging Edition everyone could have a go at adding to the missing sets list if it's possible to modify the program to put VGM in that is.
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm


*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby donluca » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:41 am

Good Lord, why the hell don't I come into these boards more often :(

Sorry for the huge delay in reply (more than a year, ouch), here are my thoughts:

Monkeymook wrote:I also still have yet to figure out if VB would be willing to make small, incremental updates (2-3) packs at a time to the site after I FTP them to the server, or prefer to do massive updates (10+) packs at a time.


I think you should have two separate repositories:

The first one is the main one where stuff gets dumped once it's been ripped and verified by members which have good knowledge of the game.

The second one is a small one where new sets get put, waiting to be verified by members.

So here's how this should work:

1 - Rip a new game music to VGM
2 - Upload the set to the "testing" FTP, where it will get analyzed by (hopefully) several members.
3 - When someone finds out something odd, leave a .txt files with the problem for the author to fix, or fix it yourself and upload it again with something like [fix by ...] in the filename.
4 - Whenever someone has finished analyzing a set, leave a note somewhere saying that the set is ok.
5 - Once the set has been approved by at least 2 members, it is deleted from the "testing" FTP and uploaded to the main server.

That's how I'd do it personally.


donluca wrote:Also, can you guys provide a single file download containing all the VGM packs?

I personally don't find this unreasonable to do, but the questions are as follows:

Torrents? Yes or no? Is the community interested?


Not sure about the others, but I definitely am!

Dedicated hosting? Yes? No? Where? Reliability and download speed of hosted files? Size limitations? Expiration of hosted files?


VGM files are quite small, a dedicated hosting sounds like overkill to me. We can use any free file sharing service for these (even more than one if we want) along with the torrents.
Mediafire (which I've been using for almost 5 years for my project) is perfectly fine, so is Mega and others.

What about updates? Once a month? A week?


I'd say once a month is perfectly fine. If there are no updates in the set, just leave it alone and wait for the next end of the month.

donluca wrote:One last thing: as the project grows, you may want to give a .dat file containing information on the current sets so people can use it to check if their vgm sets are up to date using clrmamepro (or any other software alike)

I definitely agree with you here, especially considering the following:

For the set updates, how do we determine what the new revision number is? Do we base it on tenths or whole amounts? Like 1.00 is the first version. Is 1.10 the new updated set, or is 2.00? Any idea?


This are very simple versioning rules:

All sets start at 1.00 version.
If there are single fixes (a track is off or missing) it increases the version to 1.01. These are called Minor Revisions.
If a set has to be redone from scratch, you go to 2.00. This is a Major Revision.

I'm still in the dark as to this, as there don't seem to be any set rules on how to mark txt updates in increments.

This would be something that I think VB would probably be better suited to do, as they seem to be much more intimately familiar with the structures of logs and how data is differentiated between updates and changes.


Definitely keep a log of the versions in the txt files. I think you guys are doing it already.

Again, sorry for the huge delay, I swear I'll come more often here and check on the developments.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
User avatar
donluca
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Rome

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Postby TEOL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:30 am

Monkeymook wrote:
donluca wrote:Is there an estimate on when the updated (and new) VGMs will go live?

Unfortunately, there is not. But rest assured, I'm finally back to working on the sets (after frig knows how long), and Doommaster has informed me that they have some things to take care of before this. We also have drdevil as a new team member to working on the sets, so time is of the essence right now, since there haven't been very many 100% official updates since last year. I also still have yet to figure out if VB would be willing to make small, incremental updates (2-3) packs at a time to the site after I FTP them to the server, or prefer to do massive updates (10+) packs at a time.


donluca wrote:Also, can you guys provide a single file download containing all the VGM packs?

I personally don't find this unreasonable to do, but the questions are as follows:

Torrents? Yes or no? Is the community interested?
Dedicated hosting? Yes? No? Where? Reliability and download speed of hosted files? Size limitations? Expiration of hosted files? What about updates? Once a month? A week?

donluca wrote:One last thing: as the project grows, you may want to give a .dat file containing information on the current sets so people can use it to check if their vgm sets are up to date using clrmamepro (or any other software alike)

I definitely agree with you here, especially considering the following:

For the set updates, how do we determine what the new revision number is? Do we base it on tenths or whole amounts? Like 1.00 is the first version. Is 1.10 the new updated set, or is 2.00? Any idea?

I'm still in the dark as to this, as there don't seem to be any set rules on how to mark txt updates in increments.

This would be something that I think VB would probably be better suited to do, as they seem to be much more intimately familiar with the structures of logs and how data is differentiated between updates and changes.

VallyBell, what do you think? Would that be a possibility? Or worth the time? And if there was to be dedicated hosting for the large pack file as well, then would it be possible to host it here on the site, or would it be better served on an external host?


Post the official link to the FTP on the forum. Then people can get the updates first but only if they are a forum member. The others have to wait until the tracks are on the site as access to the FTP would be a privlage to forum members.

For it to work though you'll have to hide the section to the FTP from view to non members maybe adding a post count to it.

Or should I say testing FTP as thats a great way of calling it out actually.
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Set Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron