Ultimate Set Information Updating Thread

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Monkeymook wrote:Did we want to remove that beginning field value? I believe we, at one point, saw it as redundant and pointless. I think. It's been a year or so.
I think we wanted to do that, yes.

Koto: If you have a way to edit memory, there is a memory trigger at Z80 RAM 1C04-1C07. Set one of these bytes to 81..8F to play a song.
(The memory trigger is at the preSMPS offset, that's probably why GDRI listed it wrong. Most SMPS Z80 games have the memory trigger at 1C09-1C0C)

Trivia: I had a look at the sound drivers and found the reason for the different speed.
The JAP version updates the sound when the Vertical Interrupt happens, that's exactly 60 Hz.
The US version uses the YM2612 Timer B to control the update rate and uses setting $CB, which results in an update rate of 62.81 Hz.
This makes the US music 4.7 % faster.

P.S.: PAR codes don't work with memory triggers, since they cause the song to be replayed every frame. The easiest way is probably to edit save states. The song will then play as soon as you load them.

EDIT: Song list:

Code: Select all

81 Score
82 Title Theme
83 Awards Ceremony
84 Select
85 Coffee Break A
86 Coffee Break B
87 Coffee Break C
88 Coffee Break D
89 Coffee Break E
8A Coffee Break F
8B Ending Theme
8C BGM 1
8D BGM 2
8E BGM 3
8F BGM 4
2ch-H
New Around Here

Post by 2ch-H »

I found a cheat code to switch the sound of Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf,

Please enable only once this code in sound select. (Kega Fusion Only)

Code: Select all

FFF2E7:FFF5

Please disable code because it is a success when the cursor disappears.
You can choose a song using the left and right.
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Doommaster1994 »

FFF265:0000 - Always Get A Hole In One
Note that I only tried this on the Japanese version, but it should work on the USA version.
I played through the JP version only to find there weren't credits. However, I noticed that I used the wrong Hole in One code but I was able to beat the final tournament. So I don't know if they let you go to the next tournament if you win or lose.

UPDATE FOR ARNOLD PALMER:
The Japanese version only has credits. I found BO (Tokuhiko Uwabo) credited under "うるとら おちゃめな" (Ultra Playful?) and in the Sub-Staff it lists Chikako Kamatani's alias Tarnya, so I think she just did sound effects.

Also for Bart vs. the Space Mutants (GEN), the composer is Mark Cooksey. Tony Deaf is a reference to the term 'Tone Deaf'. I asked him if he worked on the game but he said his memory's a bit hazy on the Genesis titles so I found a couple sources which prove him as the composer:
1.) The Master System version has the same exact music and it credits Mark Cooksey.
2.) Nigel Mansell's Indy Car Racing lists Mark Cooksey for the sound driver in the game's ROM text. It is the same exact engine used in BVTSM and all of other Mark's games.

Also, games that list Fox Productions is Rick Fox.
And games that list Orca Games is Nathan Grigg, except for Izzy which was composed by Devin Hurd and the instruments/sound programming were done by Nathan.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

Hi. After a very bad time in the last month, finally I could finish the US APTG.

I have also updated the tags for the fanfares themes, which are not Coffee Breaks tunes. Most of them are used when you finish a hole (Birdie, Par or Bogey), but only play if you turn off the "Cheers" option in the pause menu. Is my first pack, so let me know if something is wrong.

And one more thing... I would like to update the old set, but... I should keep the Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf title, or instead change it to Ozaki Naomichi no Super Masters?

See ya

Monkeymook edit: Pack removed. Just downloaded it, and currently working on updating the set. If you want however, the set needs the bonus game track, mentioned in my next post. ;)
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Doommaster1994 »

Thanks a bunch for the rip! I like the BGM 1 song as long as I'm not playing it... then it just gets annoying!
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Koto wrote:And one more thing... I would like to update the old set, but... I should keep the Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf title, or instead change it to Ozaki Naomichi no Super Masters?

Depends. If the game has the bonus stage in it (see: http://segaretro.org/Ozaki_Naomichi_no_Super_Masters), then keep it named Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf (Ozaki Naomichi no Super Masters), as the US version is the only copy that has the bonus game.

I'm going to go with this method. I'll get it tagged, updated, and added to the site's FTP.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

There's no "Bonus Game track" in that game. The Fantasy Zone minigame uses the Title theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrtr-5_mds

Both US and PAL versions include the secret game. In the JP version is absent, the Konami Code doesn't work and there's no way to skip the Game Over screen but resetting.

See ya
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Ah. My mistake.

It's been uploaded to the site's FTP as of last night, sans "bonus track".

Thanks for the information.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I just uploaded a small update for the "Super League (Tommy Lasorda Baseball)" VGM pack [EDIT: to the FTP] that removes the clicks at the beginning/end of the songs.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

ValleyBell: Link?

EDIT: Thank you for mentioning you've put it on the FTP.