Project2612

Packs that need help! [08/07/2016]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!

Packs with VGZs that need fixing! [08312014]

Postby Monkeymook » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Koto wrote:
ValleyBell wrote:Someone sent me a full dump of the former song, but I always forgot to trim it. I might do that sometime soon though.

Nevermind, I have already trimmed the Fantasy Area theme and tagged the unknown themes as "Swamp Area" (Still 2 jingles are unknown)

See ya

I found the updated file in the dropbox folder. Thanks for doing the update. Much appreciated.
Monkeymook

Postby kyu-sawamura » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Hello fellow rippers.

Puggsy and Bram Stoker's Dracula are ripped at 60 Hz when they should have been ripped at 50 Hz.
Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula has some ADSR bugs: the first time any instrument plays through the VGM, it does so with an apparent "overlap" from previous envelope changes, which doesn't happen during gameplay.

Tecmo Cup Football Game has the Dreams and Dragons' Opponents theme trimmed wrong; the background melody in channel 3 gets cut off and 'ported' back to where I assume is the trimming loop point, when the actual cycle during the game is longer. I've yet to play the game to make sure any other songs have longer cycles than those in the rip.

I can't fix these packs I just referred to because I have no knowledge in hacking yet.

I noticed some errors in other packs that I'll try to fix on my own. Namco sound drivers are really unforgiving, by the way - I noticed this trying to make my own rip of Rolling Thunder 2 and getting horrible bugs only upon trimming silences.
kyu-sawamura
New Around Here

Postby Koto » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:33 pm

kyu-sawamura wrote:Hello fellow rippers.

Puggsy and Bram Stoker's Dracula are ripped at 60 Hz when they should have been ripped at 50 Hz.
Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula has some ADSR bugs: the first time any instrument plays through the VGM, it does so with an apparent "overlap" from previous envelope changes, which doesn't happen during gameplay.

Tecmo Cup Football Game has the Dreams and Dragons' Opponents theme trimmed wrong; the background melody in channel 3 gets cut off and 'ported' back to where I assume is the trimming loop point, when the actual cycle during the game is longer. I've yet to play the game to make sure any other songs have longer cycles than those in the rip.

I can't fix these packs I just referred to because I have no knowledge in hacking yet.

I noticed some errors in other packs that I'll try to fix on my own. Namco sound drivers are really unforgiving, by the way - I noticed this trying to make my own rip of Rolling Thunder 2 and getting horrible bugs only upon trimming silences.

I don't understand why Puggsy should be ripped at 50hz. I find fine the NTSC version, the speed music is like the Amiga's.

See ya
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Postby TEOL » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Psygnosis Liverpool England is why he mentioned that I think. :)

Washington or New York ect. USA would warrent an NTSC release and an Osaka Japan would warrent the NTSC J one be ripped.

But then again there are dual brand games like Shadow of the Beast 2 Victor/Psygnosis which the NTSC J and the PAL versions are different programmed versions so probably have different music but not the NTSC U versions need logging for example because none of the brands are USA brands so NTSC U isn't the real format but in Beast's case NTSC J and PAL are the correct ones because it was a 2 version title.

Whilst Puggsy AMIGA's music may come from the NTSC version and imported as PAL music for the AMIGA game Psygnosis Liverpool is the place of Puggsy so if it was slower than the AMIGA one that was just the way it was programmed in YM and not because it's American Made.

As I'm getting his logic I agree with him and think that Puggsy should be logged in PAL. But then I'm a man which wouldn't mind a triple format approach where if the speed of sounds at all are different all versions need logging in all speeds but thats too much work so originals is best for now so Sony Liverpool PAL it is for Puggsy for me as thats it's origins and thats what I would prefer to listen to if thats the correct speed which it is.
TEOL
New Around Here

Postby ValleyBell » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:03 am

Puggsy SCD features tracks in Redbook Audio and their speed matches the current VGM rip, so I'd probably go with that.

Maybe sometime I'll look into the sound driver to see how it does its timing. Bill's Tomato Game delayed the music on every 5th frame in NTSC mode and I think it's the same sound driver.
ValleyBell
Been Here for a Bit

Previous

Return to Set Central