*List of Missing games/sets* [Updated 4/20/2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
Monkeymook

*List of Missing games/sets* (V.2)

Post by Monkeymook »

donluca wrote:Is there an estimate on when the updated (and new) VGMs will go live?

This is something I'll need to bring up to VB. Also, considering that Doommaster handled the SQL database for the site and they've been busy for quite a bit now, it's a bit up in the air.

Progress on the sets is still continuing.

Worst case scenario, I just make a main thread with a mega.co.nz download link that is stickied with the new sets and updates until the next major update happens.

donluca wrote:Also, can you guys provide a single file download containing all the VGM packs?

As mentioned above, this can totally be done. I did it in the past for my dropbox account (they've gotten restrictive with the amount of data you can share per day on it), but I normally just upload a torrent of the new sets.

donluca wrote:One last thing: as the project grows, you may want to give a .dat file containing information on the current sets so people can use it to check if their vgm sets are up to date using clrmamepro (or any other software alike)

This is a good idea. I'm not really sure where to start with that, but I've started keeping a personal update list of what's been changed with each new set/update added to the final collection.

Please share any ideas or suggestions you may have. I'm not the most well-versed with software these days.
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

*List of Missing games/sets* [Updated 08/07/2016]

Post by donluca »

I'll start brainstorming a bit about how to handle all this when I have time.

The most obvious easy way out of having the complete set of VGMs is just doing torrents as they already have an hash check built in.

Putting it down in laymen terms:

- You download the torrent.

- The VGMs gets updated (example: a set gets more tracks or gets some tracks fixed, new sets, etc...).

- Download the new torrent, pointing it where you downloaded the one before.

- Torrent will check for existing files and will update accordingly.

- Repeat everytime there's an update

There may be easier ways to do this, one of those is having a Shared Google Drive where people can only read from it (they can't modify/erase unless they are members).
Using third party software, they can have the Google Drive mounted as a network disk, which means they don't even have to download the entire thing and keep it updated as it will get updated all by itself.

I'll think about the possibilities and come up with a simple and elegant solution.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

donluca wrote:The VGMs gets updated (example: a set gets more tracks or gets some tracks fixed, new sets, etc...).

- Download the new torrent, pointing it where you downloaded the one before.

- Torrent will check for existing files and will update accordingly.

Checking and updating torrents is a good idea, but one thing I've noticed is that if you have X file in the torrent you downloaded from someone, and change it to name Y, but the files from pack X were integrated into another pack, or some such update, then the old unneeded file (X) doesn't get deleted when you do a hash check. Namely because torrenting programs don't delete existing files in a specified directory it's downloading to that aren't in the torrent.

donluca wrote:There may be easier ways to do this, one of those is having a Shared Google Drive where people can only read from it (they can't modify/erase unless they are members).
Using third party software, they can have the Google Drive mounted as a network disk, which means they don't even have to download the entire thing and keep it updated as it will get updated all by itself.

This is not a bad idea at all, but my issue would be that it requires a bit more setup than I think most people would be accustomed to. Not that I think that's bad, because free soundtracks are free soundtracks, but it's a bit of an unconventional setup.

Any creative ideas you have to help this along are greatly appreciated.
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Monkeymook wrote:Namely because torrenting programs don't delete existing files in a specified directory it's downloading to that aren't in the torrent.

That's true, but we first have to ask ourselves: why would anyone rename a set?
Your point still stands true, of course, I was talking about an easy fix, not a well thought out one.

This is not a bad idea at all, but my issue would be that it requires a bit more setup than I think most people would be accustomed to.

It depends on what you're looking forward. You can access a Google Drive share from a simple link on your browser. From there you can order the files, for example, by last modified date to see which sets have been updated/changed and download them.
You don't have to necessarily download third-party software: you only have to do it if you want the complete sets, automatically updated, without manually downloading them.

Let's put it this way:

– If you want a quick fix because you care only for a handful of tracks, just open the Google Drive in your browser and get what you want. If a set he's interested in is updated, he can manually download it again.

– If you're serious about having the complete sets, then you'll have to go an extra mile and get the third party software, or you'll have to manually update your sets when new/fixed sets come out.

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but I'll keep looking for other solutions.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

donluca wrote:You can access a Google Drive share from a simple link on your browser. From there you can order the files, for example, by last modified date to see which sets have been updated/changed and download them.

I've been seeing people doing this more and more, and the more I see it, the more I favor the idea.

donluca wrote:– If you want a quick fix because you care only for a handful of tracks, just open the Google Drive in your browser and get what you want. If a set he's interested in is updated, he can manually download it again.

– If you're serious about having the complete sets, then you'll have to go an extra mile and get the third party software, or you'll have to manually update your sets when new/fixed sets come out.

The more research I've done in regards to setting up a shared drive, the more appealing of an idea it sounds.

Post any information you think would be helpful in the meantime, and I'll continue getting the existing 100% sets I have ready to go.
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

*List of Missing games/sets* [Updated 4/20/2018]

Post by TEOL »

Track lengh info or Mr. Nutz Hoppin' Mad for the AMIGA which could be of use for the Megadrive.

Yes there is different complete and death musics on each of the AMIGA worlds and only the one I think is in the SFX menu so you have to die to capture some of them on the Megadrive or hack them in the sound test which is incomplete same with the musics as there is no way to play the ending.

They also all have real track titles with multiple tracks in them so the Megadrive set has to be set similar but like #1 (Track Title) (a) (b) format with this version or something.

Composer: Rudolf Stember

Track Titles:

3dtube (track 1 (level music 56s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 2s)
boss (track 1 (boss music 1m 1s), track 2 (complete 1s) track 3 (death 2s) track 4 (boss music 2 51s)
jungle (track 1 (level music 1m 47s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 2s)
nature (track 1 (level music 2m 48s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 4s)
sky (track 1 (level music 31s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 2s)
tekkno (track 1 (level music 1m 47s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 2s)
title (track 1 (ending music 1m 47s), track 2 (dark death 2s), track 3 (intro music 1m 51s)
underworld (track 1 (level music 3m 15s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 3s)
warpzone (track 1 (level music 46s), track 2 (complete 2s) track 3 (death 2s)
water_and_map (track 1 (water level music 1m 56s), track 2 (complete 1s) track 3 (death 2s) track 4 (overworld map 1m 52s) track 5 (new map area 3s)