Pink Goes to Hollywood at 60 Hz?

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
Duke Nukem
New Around Here

Pink Goes to Hollywood at 60 Hz?

Post by Duke Nukem »

The music in this set is too fast. It should've been ripped in 50 Hz, not 60 Hz.

Fixing it on VGM Tool isn't really working. In fact, if I change the playback rate in the header through VGM tool, it keeps playing at 60 Hz, even if I set a custom playback speed.

Suggestions?
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Shadow of the Beast has a similar problem, except it plays too slow instead.

I can fix it by changing the playback settings in the in_vgm plugin in winamps config screen, but its annoying having to keep going to the option screen swapping the speeds back and forth.

Im guessing the simplist way to fix both these would be to re-rip them from scratch?
Duke Nukem
New Around Here

Post by Duke Nukem »

I thought that's why the playback speed field exists in the VGM specs. in_VGM just doesn't seem to take it into consideration.
DJ Squarewave

Post by DJ Squarewave »

Playing Pink Goes to Hollywood at 50hz sounds noticeably slower than the game sounds on my NTSC system. As the set is now, it sounds right to me.

Shadow of the Beast is already recorded at 60hz. I haven't tried the game on my system to see how it compares, but if it's wrong, then the fault is with Kega Fusion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Game music falls into three categories:

1. Music that automagically adjusts for playback on PAL and NTSC systems so it sounds (almost) the same on both
2. Music that doesn't adjust at all, so it all plays back 20% faster on NTSC systems (or 17% slower on PAL, depending on your point of view)
3. Some weird funky cases I don't care so much about

Add in to the mix whether a particular game was actually released in PAL/NTSC territories, and ignoring case 3, you find that some games ought to adjust for PAL/NTSC to suit user preferences, and some ought to play back the same regardless. The field in the VGM header was supposed to deal with that - fill it in to enable adjustment, leave it blank otherwise - but then you wouldn't be able to do funky stuff like speeding it up or slowing it down to weird rates like 120Hz. So, maybe we should add a flag to the header to enable PAL/NTSC compensation - defaulted to true or false for old packs? - that would re-enable control over this.