Updates as of December 13th, 2017.

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Updates as of April 1, 2014.

Post by donluca »

Hi everyone,

I'm chiming in just to say a big thank you for all the work that is being done, this is truly amazing.

I wanted to give my opinion on how to share the VGMs although I may be a little late.

Putting a VGZ into a zip file is kinda redundant as the VGZ is already a GZipped file, hence there are not any advantages since you share everything inside ZIP files.

My personal vote goes for VGM + ZIP, but I can totally see why you'd use VGZ since a lot of software is already able to read it.

Keep it up guys, and, if possible, take a look at Comix Zone's VGMs: they are cluttered with errors, they need to be ripped properly.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

Maybe this would be a silly question but... How can I access to the site FTP? Thanks.

See ya
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

donluca wrote:Putting a VGZ into a zip file is kinda redundant as the VGZ is already a GZipped file, hence there are not any advantages since you share everything inside ZIP files.

My personal vote goes for VGM + ZIP, but I can totally see why you'd use VGZ since a lot of software is already able to read it.

I agree, it is very much so redundant. The current method is ValleyBell's suggestion. Now, I'm all for any changes, as I have the necessary backups ready to make that happen in an instant. I guess it's ultimately up to staff. We'll see how it goes over time.

donluca wrote:take a look at Comix Zone's VGMs: they are cluttered with errors, they need to be ripped properly.

I will speak to doommaster and dissident and see if they can assist with a new pack. Thanks for pointing that out.

Koto wrote:How can I access to the site FTP?

Unfortunately, I can not provide access to it, as I do not have authorization to do so. It is login-only access. I apologize.

I would, however, be happy to invite you to the shared dropbox folder with dissident and doommaster.
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit

Updates as of April 2, 2014.

Post by Doommaster1994 »

A friend of mine told me to check Comix Zone since he couldn't find a rip of it. I might take a look but GEMS games are considerably harder to log because sometimes notes overlap in the loop. Though I've worked on (but not completed) a few like Baby's Day Out and Jammit. Only one I can think of that I did finish was Jeopardy!.
~Doommaster1994
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Post by TEOL »

Mr. Nutz 2 - Hoppin' Mad for the Megadrive could be an easy one it's just a matter of getting the total lenghs of all the tracks from the direct ripped from the AMIGA TFMX tracks:

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Mr._Nutz_-_Hoppin%27_Mad

Warning: These TFMX files are multitracks and must have the Deliplayer instelled to get the lenghs until the BZR playlists are fixed on that type of TFMX and to skip a subtrack use the + & - buttons as some are impossible to be quick enough on the draw do do via button on like there is a death music before the Opening theme on one of the files.

Then all thats need to do is the logging the tracks of the Megadrive version in the options menu then cheating to win or playing through it properly to get the ending screen music or hacking it in but all the other musics seem to be playable in the menu natively and comparing those times to the MD version.

Stone Protectors is another one of those with the same type of options but that you can use any player you like on it to get the lenghs as it has a native rip for the SNES and also has music in it's options menu.

Edit: You don't even need a player to listen to the lenghs on this game as the tracklist and lenghs are logged on the SNES Music site already so dnt' need to get them yourself:

Track: Title: Length:
01 Kemco 00:02
02 Introduction 02:21
03 Main Theme 03:25
04 Player Select 00:20
05 Opening 00:21
06 Snowy Village 01:10
07 Snowy Village (Tension) 00:24
08 First Encounter with Zink 00:40
09 Story Progress 00:58
10 Crystal Mine 01:05
11 Crystal Mine (Tension) 00:16
12 Second Encounter with Zink 00:48
13 Further Story Progress 00:24
14 Downward 01:39
15 Downward (Tension) 00:14
16 Dance with the Launa Boss 00:30
17 Success 00:32
18 Beach Party 00:59
19 Beach Party (Tension) 00:10
20 Beachball with Tackle Jackal 00:38
21 It's Getting Dramatic, Babe 00:39
22 Forest of Mythrandir 01:50
23 Forest of Mythrandir (Tension) 00:12
24 Wraith 00:40
25 Story of Danger 00:20
26 Bizarre Bazaar 01:17
27 Bizarre Bazaar (Tension) 00:08
28 Frank Does It! 00:49
29 We Need a Volunteer 00:52
30 Approaching the Castle 01:17
31 Approaching the Castle (Tension) 00:19
32 Zink at Last 00:31
33 Zink is an Idiot 00:24
34 In the Castle 02:05
35 In the Castle (Tension) 00:14
36 Sucker Puncher 00:28
37 Sucker Puncher Sucks 00:21
38 Final Showdown 00:21
39 The Laboratory 02:25
40 The Laboratory (Tension) 00:16
41 Predatron 00:35
42 Everyone Has Failed Me 00:34
43 Throne Hall 01:38
44 Throne Hall (Tension) 00:11
45 Lord Zok 00:30
46 Victory Celebration (part 1) 03:00
47 Victory Celebration (part 2) 00:41
48 Staff Roll 01:18
49 Game Over 00:06
50 Tournament Battle 04:08
51 Snowy Village (Megamix) 01:11
52 Crystal Mine (Megamix) 01:08
53 Downward (Megamix) 01:02
54 Beach Party (Megamix) 01:07
55 Forest of Mythrandir (Megamix) 01:21
56 Bizarre Bazaar (Megamix) 01:07
57 Approaching the Castle (Megamix) 00:49
58 In the Castle (Megamix) 01:01
59 The Laboratory (Megamix) 00:51
60 Throne Hall (Megamix) 01:21
b01 Unknown Jingle 00:05
s01 Character Selection 00:02
s02 Go 00:03
s03 1-up 00:02
s04 Stage Completed 00:02

Hope that helps for tracklists to get some Stone Protectors and Mr. Nutz 2 rips. But then again some times could be off due to framerate differences between consoles but these are approx lenghs to help get our SEGA rips proper lengh.
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Koto wrote:Maybe this would be a silly question but... How can I access to the site FTP? Thanks.

See ya

I wrote a script two years ago to download all the packs at once but cannot find that post anymore... I'm afraid it got somehow deleted when the bot flood happened.

If it is downloading all the packs at once you're looking for I might try to write it again and share with you if it can help.

Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

I personally use DownThemAll.

Here's a quick way to do it:

1. Open http://project2612.org/list.php?page=all

2. Right-click the page (not the packs), and choose download with DownThemAll.

3. It will bring up a prompt, and you're going to search for a string titled "download.php".
-There should be around 597~ results.

4. Download them as normal using DTA.
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Nice, I'll see if something similar exists for Mac.

Meanwhile, may I suggest you using a more modern distribution system than a FTP server like a torrent to share all the VGM packs and keep them updated?

Whenever you have to update it you just change the files inside it and create a new torrent.
People who want to keep their sets updated just have to download the new torrent and the client will verify their data and add the missing/changed sets.

Monkeymook

Updates as of April 8, 2014.

Post by Monkeymook »

donluca wrote:may I suggest you using a more modern distribution system than a FTP server like a torrent to share all the VGM packs and keep them updated?

That would be nice. I made a torrent once before, but I had so much going on in my life, I never had time to update it again.

Once the major stuff is done here (since we're still in the process with a bunch of rips), then I'll work on a torrent, and it will be stickied at the top.

donluca wrote:Whenever you have to update it you just change the files inside it and create a new torrent.
People who want to keep their sets updated just have to download the new torrent and the client will verify their data and add the missing/changed sets.

I know, I know. But the issue is with sets whose file listings change, and more files are added. Unfortunately, most torrent clients don't find the data that isn't supposed to be in there anymore and delete it. That's my primary concern.
KeenanW
New Around Here

Updates as of March 31, 2014.

Post by KeenanW »

Monkeymook wrote:The album was ridiculously popular when it came out, and now, I can't find a trace of him anywhere on the net. He used to have a bandcamp, and now, I can't even find anything on the guy.

Here is freezedream's Bandcamp.

Regarding file format, I would prefer a collection with single files for soundtracks. Every VGM archive I know of has an archive for each soundtrack as opposed to song. Whatever it takes for this to be achieved is what I would prefer.