Updates as of December 13th, 2017.

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
dissident93
Been Here for a Bit

Updates as of April 17, 2014.

Post by dissident93 »

ValleyBell wrote:Monkeymook and me can upload to the server. dissident93 just uses a shared Dropbox folder to work with Monkeymook. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

yep, that's correct.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

TEOL wrote:So basiclly modship gave you the ability to upload those new sets to the server and modify the SQL Database a bit but you don't have the access with modship to be able to update the site itself as you can only do that part of the SQL in full admin mode?

Sounds logical I guess. I'm sure it won't be much longer now until we finally can see it so thanks for the update on it.

We have the ability to upload sets, yes, but we're still trying to figure out how to get the new packs to be available on the site. We have a copy of the sql file for new stuff, but we have no clue how to integrate it with the site.

VB and I can update stuff on the main page, but it's barely in human-readable format. It sucks to try to manually work on it.

ValleyBell wrote:So far I'm the only one (of the currently active admins) with direct access to the SQL database. And I'm still not sure what the home page will do when you try to post >600 updates at once.
But I'll look into that when I have enough time.

I assume that the ability to update the SQL is something you have to do independent of having FTP access? I mean, trying to edit the FTP for new stuff on the front page is pretty much impossible unless you know what you're looking at when you open up these frickin' site files.
neologix

Post by neologix »

Dark Pulse once sent me a stripped down version of the front page's script years ago when I first expressed interest in working on this site. ValleyBell is being rightfully cautious about updating anything that will affect that view.
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Post by TEOL »

I am finding a bit of text on the front page really funny it says non waveform when actually all digital music is a waveform in fact VGM is both waveform as in a digital track as well as in fact a wave format as it starts off with all the same info as a Wave Output only in a VGM container. :lol:
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

TEOL wrote:when actually all digital music is a waveform
Oh? I didn't know that MIDIs are waveforms, too. (VGMs and MIDIs are similar)
neologix

Post by neologix »

TEOL wrote:VGM is both waveform as in a digital track as well as in fact a wave format as it starts off with all the same info as a Wave Output only in a VGM container.

This is also factually incorrect on both counts. The front page text is fine.
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Updates as of May 26, 2014.

Post by TEOL »

If there was no waveform in a Midi or a VGM, it would be a blank file with no sound whatsoever, as a waveform in digital music is the data within a sound byte, which are the peaks which tell your digital player ie computer in this case the sounds to play and when to play them, to see the peaks you can load the track in your favorate editor if it's a supported file format, those peaks come up as little and big humps which shows your BPM and how loud or quiet the level of the beats are also.

Wav, MP3, Video Game Music "all the multiple formats", midi, m4a and everything else music related is a compression format of a log or recording of an original waveform.

It's just an opinion of what I beleive is one though, as with no Input aka Waveform in music terms, you wouldn't get any output or sound in digital music files, as no waveform would be logged onto the file, so it would just be a blank 0 byte file if it had no waveform inputs logged into it.

I just think everything music is some type analouge or digital waveform, other than your live instruments, which is your accustics form.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Look TEOL, when it comes down to VGM, it is not a wave form.

There's lots of information in these files, and sure, they are all compressed, but that doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, these are NOT PRE-RECORDED. They are not unalterable. You can change lots of data in the core VGMs themselves. And I mean re-writing the files. You can't do that with pre-recorded stuff.

ALL VGM FILES ARE IS AN ASSLOAD OF COMMANDS. They are pre-written commands and data that tell the VGM plugin what to say (which just happens to come out in song form), written in programming instructions.

Just because there is some kind of, let's say, a volume setting or loop modifier in these, doesn't mean they are waveforms.

Think of it this way. Sheet music is not a waveform. It's merely a set of instructions of the note the key needs to be in, the timing, and the melody.

It's very simple, and completely alterable. You can dissect it. It's not at all like an MP3, or pre-recorded waveform.

End of the day, it's not a waveform.

And no, we're not trying to be the special snowflake here. Nearly ANY type of tracker recording is not a waveform recording.

I don't mean to be hasty, but there's nothing else to point out. We're "logging" a set of instructions into a special container that can handle them, and developing a program plugin that can read them and play them properly.

Have you ever considered that the VGM plugin has had to go through numerous revisions to make certain sounds in the VGMs play correctly?

If they were pre-recorded waveforms, then there wouldn't be any need for fixes!
JFD62780
New Around Here

Post by JFD62780 »

Dude, the only waveforms one would recognize are the PCM samples used in about half the VGMs that exist anyway. And yes, I count for ALL the systems it covers (through this site, SMS Power and VGMRips, which makes arcade VGMs legit).
projectvgm
New Around Here

Project2612 site is playing up ?

Post by projectvgm »

August 26, 2014
Mass Update: 669 sets updated

... I can't download. Please ~ Reup~ Thank you. :cry: