Project2612

Updates as of December 13th, 2017.

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!

Updates as of December 13th, 2017.

Postby Monkeymook » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm

This is a non-comprehensive listing of updates for all of the packs that are either on the site, or updates that are globally made to the packs.

Here's what have been updated/added:
    -All VGZ files have been decompressed fully and compressed once to remove double-compression (vgm.gz.gz).
    -All pack title cards have been compressed using the maximum settings through OptiPNG.
    -Every pack has a high-quality PNG file included. IMAGE RESOLUTION MAY NOT BE CONSISTENT!
    -All PNG files with dupe extensions (*.png.png) have been corrected.
    -Every VGM file has the %albumname% value removed from the filename.
    -Every M3U is accurately tied to the VGZ listing in its respective folder.
    -Many error corrections have been made in the whole archive.
    -Garbage encoding has been stripped from M3Us that made them unreadable by the in_vgm plugin (e.g., Ristar's m3u).
    -Every pack has an M3U playlist and TXT revision listing included. (Not all of the TXT pack update listings may be accurate.)
    -All packs are organized in ZIP archives at maximum compression.

_______________________________________________________________________
Still to do:
    -Need to standardize .png file resolutions, loosely based on SMSpower's guidelines.
    -Need to remove outdated http://project2612.bandwidthmonkey.net URL from various set txt files.
    -Need to verify whether .m3u playlists have the tracks listed for all updated/new sets.


Take a look here for a list of games that are either in progress or that still have yet to be logged!
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Doommaster1994 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm

This is great news! Looking forward to the additions!
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Monkeymook » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Added a few packs to main post.

Also listed packs in a separate category that will be added to the site with main update.

dissident is currently checking some others out for me, as the only time I get is at night after work, when I'm not being bugged by the significant other.
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Doommaster1994 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm

I remember trying to rip a song from Uncharted Waters but for some reason it would not loop properly. It still played a different instrument from the second loop when it was supposed to go back to the first one. Weird.
Also, just saw Marble Madness (J) is on there. I was extremely shocked to see the Japanese staff if you wait after the demos for a long time (it usually just shows the arcade staff). Brad Fuller said something to me along the lines of either him or Hal doing all the music and the other did sound effects. Not sure if it matters though. In my VGM rips I list everybody associated with the audio (I don't know if I'm supposed to or not). Though if I knew the specific composer for a song I would just list them only (maybe along with the sound programmer).
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby JFD62780 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:22 am

o.o whoa, stuff's getting done!

Okay. Now the question is: Will there be an All-In-One archive when all's said and done? ;)
JFD62780
New Around Here
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Tampa, FL, USA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Monkeymook » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am

Doommaster1994 wrote:In my VGM rips I list everybody associated with the audio (I don't know if I'm supposed to or not). Though if I knew the specific composer for a song I would just list them only (maybe along with the sound programmer).

dissident pretty much has his tagging system figured out. He made a tagging masterpiece happen with the Sonic 3 rip. Just looking at his consistency blew my mind.

Contact him and he can give you some good guidelines on overall handling for crazy releases.

JFD62780 wrote:o.o whoa, stuff's getting done!

Okay. Now the question is: Will there be an All-In-One archive when all's said and done? ;)

Yes there will.

Now the question is: What is the most preferred format for the community? ZIPs packed in ZIPs? VGZs in ZIPs? VGMs in ZIPs?
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Doommaster1994 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:33 am

Me and dissident talk all the time so I'll be sure to ask him.
Also, I don't mind what the format is, though if I had to answer, I'd say probably VGZ files only because the VGM2MID tool only takes them, but I really don't mind either way.
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby Monkeymook » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:06 am

Doommaster1994 wrote:I'd say probably VGZ files only because the VGM2MID tool only takes them, but I really don't mind either way.

Sounds like as good of a reason as any to me. Not to mention, nearly any up-to-date VGM tool should be able to handle a compressed version of the VGM format.

I'm likely just going to leave all the VGZ files in their respective archives, and just drop them in another zip.

As much as I hate nesting zips, it was either this method or just leave the compressed files in folders, and then zip them all.

(Now that I mention it, that last one does sound kind of convenient...)
User avatar
Monkeymook
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby JFD62780 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Personally, I'd prefer going with VGMRips' method of the former, than the HVCS's method of the latter, but that's just me. ;)
JFD62780
New Around Here
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 am
Location: Tampa, FL, USA

Updates as of March 26, 2014.

Postby dissident93 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am

Doommaster1994 wrote:I remember trying to rip a song from Uncharted Waters but for some reason it would not loop properly. It still played a different instrument from the second loop when it was supposed to go back to the first one. Weird.
Also, just saw Marble Madness (J) is on there. I was extremely shocked to see the Japanese staff if you wait after the demos for a long time (it usually just shows the arcade staff). Brad Fuller said something to me along the lines of either him or Hal doing all the music and the other did sound effects. Not sure if it matters though. In my VGM rips I list everybody associated with the audio (I don't know if I'm supposed to or not). Though if I knew the specific composer for a song I would just list them only (maybe along with the sound programmer).


I personally omit the programmers, sound driver guys, and most of the time arrangers (unless the arranged version is more of a remix, then i'll credit the original composer and the arranger I.E. nearly all the stuff Matt arranged for the Genesis) I also try to credit songs with single composers when possible, but of course for most of these games that's normally impossible unless it has detailed liner notes from an OST or you got the info straight from the guys themselves. however, there are some songs you know 100% it was by a certain composer, but I tried to avoid that since it's not official.

I know Brad and Hal did the original version of Marble Madness, but the Genesis versions credit Steve Hales for the Western release and Kenji Yokoyama for the Japanese release. or am I wrong?
User avatar
dissident93
Been Here for a Bit
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Next

Return to Set Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron