Packs that need work. [May 4th, 2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

Post by ValleyBell »

Raijin wrote:I downloaded the Time Trax pack from the updated Google Drive page, and there are a couple of erroneous VGM's. All of them are VGM version 1.51 with 0.50 volume, but Track 3 - Stage 1, 3, 8 has version 1.50 at full volume, which is a small oversight I would guess. Track 5 - Stage 4, 6 is broken, and doesn't play at all.

According to the pack's notes, track 3 was updated, so he probably forgot to apply the volume gain again.
Track 5 is a .vgm.gz.gz, i.e. it's gzipped twice. VGMPlay/in_vgm handles only one level of compression. I think XMPlay sometimes unzips .gz files automatically and since in_vgm can read .vgm.gz it just happens to work there.

EDIT: 16t suffers from the double-gzip issue as well an this time it's the whole pack. (The Dropbox pack I got on 29 April this year doesn't have the issue.)
I really don't get how that always happens with Monkeymook. My .bat scripts always decompress all .vgz files at least once and then recompress them in order to make sure they are proper .vgz files. (which means .vgm.gz)
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

ValleyBell wrote:I really don't get how that always happens with Monkeymook. My .bat scripts always decompress all .vgz files at least once and then recompress them in order to make sure they are proper .vgz files. (which means .vgm.gz)

I often tend to juggle work on multiple sets at once, so sometimes stuff tends to slip through. Also, I used to know how to spot double-zipped packs (I found many of them on the very first set update in 2014), but I've since forgotten how to identify them.

Check the pack (16t and Time Trax) on Google Drive now and see if that's still the case. I've fully decompressed all the tracks using the script and ran both packs through *one* time.

Also, the Time Trax set that you have, is it different from the set I shared? Like, are the tracks correct as far as volume settings go, or do we have the same set?
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Time Trax tracks from the Google Drive are all .vgz, but the fifth track makes both RYMCast and Audio Overload crash.

Volume levels sound fine to me.
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Monkeymook wrote:Check the pack (16t and Time Trax) on Google Drive now and see if that's still the case. I've fully decompressed all the tracks using the script and ran both packs through *one* time.
Nope, still double-gzipped. That's probably why AO and RYMCast crash.
Keep in mind that even if the file extention is .vgm, it might still be compressed. I'd probably just decompress it until gzip.exe throws warnings about "not being gzip".

Monkeymook wrote:Also, the Time Trax set that you have, is it different from the set I shared? Like, are the tracks correct as far as volume settings go, or do we have the same set?
The Time Trax set I walk talking about was from your Dropbox and the Google Drive one was the same.

donluca wrote:Volume levels sound fine to me.
except that track 3 is twice as loud as the other ones (and has a high chance of clipping)
I attached a fixed set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

ValleyBell wrote:Keep in mind that even if the file extention is .vgm, it might still be compressed. I'd probably just decompress it until gzip.exe throws warnings about "not being gzip".

Yep, this I do know about. I decompressed it 3 or 4 times, and I still seem to be having issues with it.

How are you identifying whether it's double-zipped or not?

ValleyBell wrote:The Time Trax set I walk talking about was from your Dropbox and the Google Drive one was the same.

Thank you. I've since removed the set in GD and replaced it with your fixed set.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I just try to play them using VGMPlay. (It supports .m3u playlists as well.) Not in_vgm in XMPlay, just the VGMPlay standalone program.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Packs that need work. [May 18th, 2017]

Post by Koto »

I have reuploaded the original 16t set to Dropbox, so you can replace the corrupted one if you need it.

See ya
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

ValleyBell wrote:I just try to play them using VGMPlay. (It supports .m3u playlists as well.) Not in_vgm in XMPlay, just the VGMPlay standalone program.

I found a solution for the packs, which is to compress them, then use one of your scripts to rename them from VGZ to VGM, then reverse the procedure. The tracks play normally in VGMPlay then.

Thank you for your advice.

Koto wrote:I have reuploaded the original 16t set to Dropbox, so you can replace the corrupted one if you need it.

Thank you for re-uploading the fixed pack. Very much appreciated.
Infernus Animositas
New Around Here

Packs that need work. [June 23rd, 2017]

Post by Infernus Animositas »

Just a quick mention that for Bubsy and Bubsy II, the composer is just Matt Berardo. Rudy Helm only took Matt's submissions (MIDI files) and put them into a format that would play properly on the console. Rudy did this for both the SNES and Sega platforms.
Monkeymook

Packs that need work. [June 23rd, 2017]

Post by Monkeymook »

Infernus Animositas wrote:Just a quick mention that for Bubsy and Bubsy II, the composer is just Matt Berardo.

Thank you for the information! The main post has been updated.