Packs that need work. [May 4th, 2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Packs that need work. [June 23rd, 2017]

Post by ValleyBell »

The pack of Zoom! needs to be reripped. The tempo is off in the current pack due to the sound driver doing things to the YM2612 timers that the old emulation didn't handle properly.

The tempo in this longplay is correct, the one in this video isn't. (The music is supposed to sync with the stage intro animation.)
KeenanW
New Around Here

Post by KeenanW »

ValleyBell wrote:The pack of Zoom! needs to be reripped. The tempo is off in the current pack due to the sound driver doing things to the YM2612 timers that the old emulation didn't handle properly.

The tempo in this longplay is correct, the one in this video isn't. (The music is supposed to sync with the stage intro animation.)

I've played that game since I was a kid and it's definitely the tempo in the second video for me. At least for an NTSC console, original cart/EverDrive on a Model 1 and 2.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I asked Whooa21 to check the game for me and he confirmed that the slower music is what plays on NTSC and PAL hardware. So the current pack is correct.
I still think the music is supposed to play faster and that the way it works is an oversight. (It also causes the music to be slightly faster/slower depending on how long it takes to process music+SFX.)
The slower music might fit PAL regions better though.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Gnome from vgmrips reported that Golden Axe II: Ravaged Village has a bad loop.
It loops too early. The actual song goes: intro [A B A C], the VGM goes just: intro [A B].
Gnome
New Around Here

Post by Gnome »

Gnome here. Here's an actual, correct VGM, looped via VGM Loop Finder and vgm_trim.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixygxauk9j102 ... d.vgm?dl=1
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

Seems there's an actual stage BGM (not the Dance Magic) of "Thriller" for Michael Jackson's Moonwalker that got removed in beta. Definitely needs to be found and added to the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYwXh2a ... e=youtu.be
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

Since I was looking up Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure longplays, I decided to see about tagging all the unidentified tunes here based on their use in the game. There are still a couple I can't identify and may not even be used in the game. More notably there are still unripped songs, detailed below. I don't know how this soundtrack was ripped, so I don't know what the best way to get these tracks are (the Simon challenge will be especially difficult to try to rip without hacking, as I don't believe the game has a sound test function).

Track 2: Runaway Minecar (Balankanche Mine)
Track 3: Vine Swing (Classic Pitfall)
Track 4: Get Treasure (Classic Pitfall)
Track 5: Death (Classic Pitfall)
Track 6: Copan Temple
Track 7: Xibalba Falls
Track 8: Jungle of Ceiba
Track 9: ??? (Jungle of Ceiba alt. Intro)
Track 10: Two Jaguars (Lost City of Copan boss)
Track 11: Jaguar (Jungle of Ceiba boss)
Track 12: Jaguar Man (Tikal Ruins boss)
Track 13: Warrior Spirit (final boss)
Track 14: ??? (unused?)
Track 15: Temple of Tikal
Track 16: Lakamul Rainforest
Track 17: Tazamul Mines
Track 18: Yaxchilan Lagoon
Track 19: Ending (son what took you so long)
Track 20: Credits
Track 21: Lost City of Copan
Track 22: Tikal Ruins

MISSING: Intro (Dad?!), Simon sequence, menu music, continue (same as intro?)
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

ValleyBell wrote:I asked Whooa21 to check the game for me and he confirmed that the slower music is what plays on NTSC and PAL hardware. So the current pack is correct.

Thank you for the update on this, VB. I've made a notation regarding the set on the main post.

Richter X wrote:Seems there's an actual stage BGM (not the Dance Magic) of "Thriller" for Michael Jackson's Moonwalker that got removed in beta. Definitely needs to be found and added to the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYwXh2a ... e=youtu.be

It currently appears as though people are trying to get the uploader on youtube to have the ROM dumped and the cart preserved. The original post is here.

I ended up logging a copy of the thriller dance music from the ROM a while back, and it's been needing to get added into the Moonwalker set for a while now. This would definitely be a great addition. I'll try to get in contact with one of the people tasked with dumping the ROM, and see if they can send a copy of the dump to us, or put it online. I've made a request already as it stands, but we'll see where it goes!

muteKi wrote:Since I was looking up Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure longplays, I decided to see about tagging all the unidentified tunes here based on their use in the game. There are still a couple I can't identify and may not even be used in the game. More notably there are still unripped songs, detailed below. I don't know how this soundtrack was ripped, so I don't know what the best way to get these tracks are (the Simon challenge will be especially difficult to try to rip without hacking, as I don't believe the game has a sound test function).

Thanks for digging this information up. I'll add your post to the Pitfall entry on the first page.

EDIT: I reached out to the owner of the Moonwalker cartridge a few months ago on Youtube, and through a friend of them on Reddit, but have gotten no response since then.
Infernus Animositas
New Around Here

Packs that need work. [December 8th, 2017]

Post by Infernus Animositas »

muteKi wrote:Track 14: ??? (unused?)

That track is the Invincibility theme IIRC.
meat
New Around Here

Packs that need work. [December 8th, 2017]

Post by meat »

Infernus Animositas wrote:
muteKi wrote:Track 14: ??? (unused?)

That track is the Invincibility theme IIRC.

That's kind of ironic, isn't it? (無敵 (muteki) means invincibility)