Packs that need work. [May 4th, 2018]

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
Monkeymook

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

Post by Monkeymook »

Koto wrote:
ValleyBell wrote:Someone sent me a full dump of the former song, but I always forgot to trim it. I might do that sometime soon though.

Nevermind, I have already trimmed the Fantasy Area theme and tagged the unknown themes as "Swamp Area" (Still 2 jingles are unknown)

See ya

I found the updated file in the dropbox folder. Thanks for doing the update. Much appreciated.
kyu-sawamura
New Around Here

Packs that need help! [08/07/2016]

Post by kyu-sawamura »

Hello fellow rippers.

Puggsy and Bram Stoker's Dracula are ripped at 60 Hz when they should have been ripped at 50 Hz.
Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula has some ADSR bugs: the first time any instrument plays through the VGM, it does so with an apparent "overlap" from previous envelope changes, which doesn't happen during gameplay.

Tecmo Cup Football Game has the Dreams and Dragons' Opponents theme trimmed wrong; the background melody in channel 3 gets cut off and 'ported' back to where I assume is the trimming loop point, when the actual cycle during the game is longer. I've yet to play the game to make sure any other songs have longer cycles than those in the rip.

I can't fix these packs I just referred to because I have no knowledge in hacking yet.

I noticed some errors in other packs that I'll try to fix on my own. Namco sound drivers are really unforgiving, by the way - I noticed this trying to make my own rip of Rolling Thunder 2 and getting horrible bugs only upon trimming silences.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

kyu-sawamura wrote:Hello fellow rippers.

Puggsy and Bram Stoker's Dracula are ripped at 60 Hz when they should have been ripped at 50 Hz.
Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula has some ADSR bugs: the first time any instrument plays through the VGM, it does so with an apparent "overlap" from previous envelope changes, which doesn't happen during gameplay.

Tecmo Cup Football Game has the Dreams and Dragons' Opponents theme trimmed wrong; the background melody in channel 3 gets cut off and 'ported' back to where I assume is the trimming loop point, when the actual cycle during the game is longer. I've yet to play the game to make sure any other songs have longer cycles than those in the rip.

I can't fix these packs I just referred to because I have no knowledge in hacking yet.

I noticed some errors in other packs that I'll try to fix on my own. Namco sound drivers are really unforgiving, by the way - I noticed this trying to make my own rip of Rolling Thunder 2 and getting horrible bugs only upon trimming silences.

I don't understand why Puggsy should be ripped at 50hz. I find fine the NTSC version, the speed music is like the Amiga's.

See ya
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Post by TEOL »

Psygnosis Liverpool England is why he mentioned that I think. :)

Washington or New York ect. USA would warrent an NTSC release and an Osaka Japan would warrent the NTSC J one be ripped.

But then again there are dual brand games like Shadow of the Beast 2 Victor/Psygnosis which the NTSC J and the PAL versions are different programmed versions so probably have different music but not the NTSC U versions need logging for example because none of the brands are USA brands so NTSC U isn't the real format but in Beast's case NTSC J and PAL are the correct ones because it was a 2 version title.

Whilst Puggsy AMIGA's music may come from the NTSC version and imported as PAL music for the AMIGA game Psygnosis Liverpool is the place of Puggsy so if it was slower than the AMIGA one that was just the way it was programmed in YM and not because it's American Made.

As I'm getting his logic I agree with him and think that Puggsy should be logged in PAL. But then I'm a man which wouldn't mind a triple format approach where if the speed of sounds at all are different all versions need logging in all speeds but thats too much work so originals is best for now so Sony Liverpool PAL it is for Puggsy for me as thats it's origins and thats what I would prefer to listen to if thats the correct speed which it is.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Puggsy SCD features tracks in Redbook Audio and their speed matches the current VGM rip, so I'd probably go with that.

Maybe sometime I'll look into the sound driver to see how it does its timing. Bill's Tomato Game delayed the music on every 5th frame in NTSC mode and I think it's the same sound driver.
Raijin
New Around Here

Post by Raijin »

Hey all. I thought I would post some erroneous packs that I've noticed here just to make people aware.

Emulation issue 1) After Burner II - Just mentioning this for the sake of it, because I am sure people already realise this, but in any case, there are certain effects missing from tracks (notable in track 3 - Red Out for example, there's supposed to be a pitch slide at the beginning), and the PSG PCM is out of tune (most notable in track 5 - After Burner).

2) Alisia Dragoon - Adding the first and second section of Stage 1-1 as its own VGM would be nice.

Fixed 3) Battle Mania Daiginjou - Error after looping on track 15 - Navigators. The Vocal lead instrument echo becomes another instrument.

4) Devilish: The Next Possession - Track 14 - Time's Running Out! is supposed to be an endless loop, rather than the current one that just stops at around 2-3 minutes. Battle Garegga has a similar track which lasts almost 2 hours, but this track should be around 20-30 minutes if I am not mistaken.

Fixed 5) Thunder Force IV - Track 33 - Stand Up Against Myself stops abruptly before the fade out is finished. After beating the game, it can be played fully in the options menu for a proper length.

6) Time Trax (PAL) - Track 103 - Stage 1, 3, 8, upon reaching the loop point, the entire thing sounds like a disaster. Also, the loop points for all PAL tracks might need a slight timing adjustment.

Fixed 7) Vapor Trail - Track 11 - Freedom Fighter loops too soon. It's supposed to transition into another section right after where it then loops that section infinitely.

So far, these are the only tracks I have found/can remember.
Last edited by Raijin on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2ch-H
New Around Here

Post by 2ch-H »

Raijin wrote:1) After Burner II - Just mentioning this for the sake of it, because I am sure people already realise this, but in any case, there are certain effects missing from tracks (notable in track 3 - Red Out for example, there's supposed to be a pitch slide at the beginning), and the PSG PCM is out of tune (most notable in track 5 - After Burner).

The problem was noticed from the time of creation of VGM Log, but it seems to be an emulation problem.
This is the sound that is being played on the actual machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKw2U_CKVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654_3G8zGEc
Raijin wrote:7) Vapor Trail - Track 11 - Freedom Fighter loops too soon. It's supposed to transition into another section right after where it then loops that section infinitely.

I did not notice, I fixed it.
11 - Freedom Fighter.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raijin
New Around Here

Post by Raijin »

2ch-H, thank you. I have edited my previous post to note your fix, and the After Burner issue.

Edit: I have re-logged Stand Up Against Myself with a longer fade out (it keeps going for a very long time, so I ended it when it became fairly inaudible).

I have not logged a VGM before, so I don't know if it's good enough. I won't edit my previous post to display 'Fixed' for this one until someone can confirm it is.

Edit 2: Sorry about this. I caught a mistake. I logged with GensGS and noticed some odd timings, so I re-logged with Fusion. I uploaded the fixed version, and I believe it is fine now, so I will note it as 'Fixed' in my previous post.

Thunder Force IV - 33 - Stand Up Against Myself (Staff Roll).zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raijin
New Around Here

Post by Raijin »

I have now fixed Battle Mania Daiginjou track 15 - Navigators. It turns out that track not only had an error upon looping, but actually the track seems to play twice before finally looping (if you solo the PSG, it becomes very obvious), so now it's fully corrected.

I also had a look at Devilish's track Time's Running Out! I was logging this from the start with fast forward enabled, but for some reason, it slowly dropped back down to the default speed until it got to around the 20 minute mark, which was also the time I thought it would re-loop, but once it got to just around 20 minutes, it started to 'glitch' and begin to play very random notes.
Well, in the end, I actually ended up waiting for that track to re-loop for about 3 hours, but it seemed to stay in that glitched state since the 20 minute mark with no signs of wrapping back to the start like Battle Garegga does. For the time being, I think it's probably impossible for a proper rip of that track, so I'm going to leave it alone.

Anyway, here is the Battle Mania track, and for all that originally downloaded the Thunder Force IV track in the previous post, don't forget to re-download it.
15 Navigators.zip
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Post by TEOL »

Somebody needs to update the Megadrive area in M1 to load up the full library. That way we can get everything native quality logged especially with that M1 VGM version.