Page 4 of 7

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 am
by ValleyBell
Raijin wrote:I downloaded the Time Trax pack from the updated Google Drive page, and there are a couple of erroneous VGM's. All of them are VGM version 1.51 with 0.50 volume, but Track 3 - Stage 1, 3, 8 has version 1.50 at full volume, which is a small oversight I would guess. Track 5 - Stage 4, 6 is broken, and doesn't play at all.

According to the pack's notes, track 3 was updated, so he probably forgot to apply the volume gain again.
Track 5 is a .vgm.gz.gz, i.e. it's gzipped twice. VGMPlay/in_vgm handles only one level of compression. I think XMPlay sometimes unzips .gz files automatically and since in_vgm can read .vgm.gz it just happens to work there.

EDIT: 16t suffers from the double-gzip issue as well an this time it's the whole pack. (The Dropbox pack I got on 29 April this year doesn't have the issue.)
I really don't get how that always happens with Monkeymook. My .bat scripts always decompress all .vgz files at least once and then recompress them in order to make sure they are proper .vgz files. (which means .vgm.gz)

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 am
by Monkeymook
ValleyBell wrote:I really don't get how that always happens with Monkeymook. My .bat scripts always decompress all .vgz files at least once and then recompress them in order to make sure they are proper .vgz files. (which means .vgm.gz)

I often tend to juggle work on multiple sets at once, so sometimes stuff tends to slip through. Also, I used to know how to spot double-zipped packs (I found many of them on the very first set update in 2014), but I've since forgotten how to identify them.

Check the pack (16t and Time Trax) on Google Drive now and see if that's still the case. I've fully decompressed all the tracks using the script and ran both packs through *one* time.

Also, the Time Trax set that you have, is it different from the set I shared? Like, are the tracks correct as far as volume settings go, or do we have the same set?

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm
by donluca
Time Trax tracks from the Google Drive are all .vgz, but the fifth track makes both RYMCast and Audio Overload crash.

Volume levels sound fine to me.

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 am
by ValleyBell
Monkeymook wrote:Check the pack (16t and Time Trax) on Google Drive now and see if that's still the case. I've fully decompressed all the tracks using the script and ran both packs through *one* time.
Nope, still double-gzipped. That's probably why AO and RYMCast crash.
Keep in mind that even if the file extention is .vgm, it might still be compressed. I'd probably just decompress it until gzip.exe throws warnings about "not being gzip".

Monkeymook wrote:Also, the Time Trax set that you have, is it different from the set I shared? Like, are the tracks correct as far as volume settings go, or do we have the same set?
The Time Trax set I walk talking about was from your Dropbox and the Google Drive one was the same.

donluca wrote:Volume levels sound fine to me.
except that track 3 is twice as loud as the other ones (and has a high chance of clipping)
I attached a fixed set.

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 am
by Monkeymook
ValleyBell wrote:Keep in mind that even if the file extention is .vgm, it might still be compressed. I'd probably just decompress it until gzip.exe throws warnings about "not being gzip".

Yep, this I do know about. I decompressed it 3 or 4 times, and I still seem to be having issues with it.

How are you identifying whether it's double-zipped or not?

ValleyBell wrote:The Time Trax set I walk talking about was from your Dropbox and the Google Drive one was the same.

Thank you. I've since removed the set in GD and replaced it with your fixed set.

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am
by ValleyBell
I just try to play them using VGMPlay. (It supports .m3u playlists as well.) Not in_vgm in XMPlay, just the VGMPlay standalone program.

Packs that need work. [May 18th, 2017]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:15 pm
by Koto
I have reuploaded the original 16t set to Dropbox, so you can replace the corrupted one if you need it.

See ya

Packs that need work. [May 9th, 2017]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 pm
by Monkeymook
ValleyBell wrote:I just try to play them using VGMPlay. (It supports .m3u playlists as well.) Not in_vgm in XMPlay, just the VGMPlay standalone program.

I found a solution for the packs, which is to compress them, then use one of your scripts to rename them from VGZ to VGM, then reverse the procedure. The tracks play normally in VGMPlay then.

Thank you for your advice.

Koto wrote:I have reuploaded the original 16t set to Dropbox, so you can replace the corrupted one if you need it.

Thank you for re-uploading the fixed pack. Very much appreciated.

Packs that need work. [June 23rd, 2017]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 am
by Infernus Animositas
Just a quick mention that for Bubsy and Bubsy II, the composer is just Matt Berardo. Rudy Helm only took Matt's submissions (MIDI files) and put them into a format that would play properly on the console. Rudy did this for both the SNES and Sega platforms.

Packs that need work. [June 23rd, 2017]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 am
by Monkeymook
Infernus Animositas wrote:Just a quick mention that for Bubsy and Bubsy II, the composer is just Matt Berardo.

Thank you for the information! The main post has been updated.