Hyper Marbles unknown BGMs

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
Sik
New Around Here

Post by Sik »

Have been listening again to the Hyper Marbles set lately and noticed some oddities. Turns out that at least two of the VGMs are actually from Game Toshokan, albeit for some reason playing at double the speed:
  • Unknown jingle → Game Toshokan title screen
  • BGM 4 → Game Toshokan menu screen
I suppose BGM 3 is also from Game Toshokan since it sounds similar (although I can't confirm since so far I only got Game Toshokan to play those two themes). And I guess "Faster!" but I really can't see why it'd be there o.O I'm not surprised that this stuff is here because Hyper Marbles runs on top of Game Toshokan. "Unknown BGM" does not seem to have been speed up, so I can't really guess if it's from Game Toshokan or just an unused theme.

I guess this wasn't spotted before because getting Game Toshokan to work at all is hard =P (you need either the modem on real hardware or patching the check on an emulator, and then if you use an emulator you better hope it can figure out it needs a serial EEPROM (only Fusion does?) or patch out the EEPROM code too) and even if you do, you won't get beyond the initial menu as it gets stuck trying to dial (and unlike Mega Anser, there isn't a "demo mode" where it uses a fake off-line server). Anyway, will see if I can come up with a sound test for Game Toshokan (if I can find a good place to put it and where the sound engine calls are...).

And in case anybody is left wondering: BGM 1 is the in-game theme. I think BGM 2 may play when you're running out of time but I don't remember for sure right now (I should play this game again =P).
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

Valleybell posted about this set last year:

While ripping the songs from Hyper Marbles, I noticed that the rip on Project2612 has a few bad tracks.
Half of the tracks included in the pack are actually leftover songs from the SegaNet base ROM. Since those are not part of the actual game (and play at the wrong tempo anyway), they should be removed from the pack.

If someone wants to do corrections, here is the list of songs and what they should be:

Title Theme, Stage Clear, Game Over - okay
BGM 1 - should be "Main BGM"
BGM 2 - the "Time Low" tune, we could probably just reuse the name "Faster!"
BGM 3, BGM 4, Faster!, Unknown Jingle - from SegaNet ROM (SegaNet songs 83, 84, 82, 81 respectively), remove
Unknown BGM - okay, seems to be unused indeed (maybe it was supposed to play at the credits screen, but it is silent there)

If nobody wants to do it, I can do it myself. I just wanted to note this somewhere before I forget about it again.

http://project2612.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=622&p=8064#p8064

I took the set and finished it properly. It should be added to the main site with the next update.

See ya
drdevil
New Around Here

Post by drdevil »

Seeing as the Toshokan tracks are sped up, I personally think they should be included, but titled as "Game Toshokan Leftover 1", etc. Why did two of those tracks get titled BGM 3 and 4 respectively, anyway?
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Koto »

Those Game Toshokans leftovers are present in all Toshokan games. I don't think that it's a good idea

See ya
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

The Game Toshokans songs are probably just leftovers from a failed attempt to dump all songs via save state hacking.
Hyper Marbles comes with its own set of 2 sound banks that are loaded whenever a certain song is needed.
Sik
New Around Here

Post by Sik »

Koto wrote:Those Game Toshokans leftovers are present in all Toshokan games.

But this is the only set to include them.

And yeah I have no idea why they're called BGM 3 and 4. At least I can confirm BGM 2 is used (indeed it triggers when the timer reaches 10 seconds, tried to edit the first post to say this but then the router had stopped working and I didn't bother later).

Removing VGMs may not be that great of an idea yet since we don't know if Unknown BGM is actually used (I don't remember if the game has an ending theme and I don't think I'm going to go through all 20 stages again, the game becomes merciless rather quickly). Also if those leftovers can be triggered through normal means (i.e. by just writing a sound code instead of hacking the sound engine) those probably should remain there. We'd need more info on this.

I'm definitely in favor of the renaming though, that's mostly why I made this thread honestly.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Sik wrote:
Koto wrote:Those Game Toshokans leftovers are present in all Toshokan games.
But this is the only set to include them.

It is not.
Sik
New Around Here

Post by Sik »

Note to self: come here more often

ValleyBell wrote:It is not.

I was talking about Hyper Marbles being the only set to include leftovers that shouldn't be there, of course Game Toshokan's own set should have its own music in it.

For what matters, in the Game Toshokan set: 81 is the title screen, 84 is the main menu (the one immediately after the title screen). Can't give more details because I have no idea how to proceed after it wants to connect (and unlike Mega Anser, there isn't a fake on-line mode). Only way I could see going further in Game Toshokan is faking the server somehow (i.e. replacing the modem routines to make them spit back what the program wants) but that's probably a lot of effort. Sure, would still be useful for preservation, but dunno if I can ever be arsed to do that.
Monkeymook

Post by Monkeymook »

Sik wrote:For what matters, in the Game Toshokan set: 81 is the title screen, 84 is the main menu (the one immediately after the title screen). Can't give more details because I have no idea how to proceed after it wants to connect (and unlike Mega Anser, there isn't a fake on-line mode). Only way I could see going further in Game Toshokan is faking the server somehow (i.e. replacing the modem routines to make them spit back what the program wants) but that's probably a lot of effort. Sure, would still be useful for preservation, but dunno if I can ever be arsed to do that.

What would you personally recommend until then? Would you have a preferred method to organize or label what we currently have in the set?