New Set: Darius

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
2ch-H
New Around Here

Post by 2ch-H »

donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Wow, thanks man, that's awesome! I've seen you've ripped the Tetris game as well.

May I ask what you used? Are you still sticking with good ol' Kega Fusion or have you transitioned to the more accurate BlastEm?
"Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others"

Founder of the 16-bit audiophile project
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net
2ch-H
New Around Here

Post by 2ch-H »

I knew BlastEm for the first time.
I downloaded it and used it, but I couldn't find a function to output VGM.
Is there a function to output VGM to this emulator?
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

2ch-H wrote:I knew BlastEm for the first time.
I downloaded it and used it, but I couldn't find a function to output VGM.
Is there a function to output VGM to this emulator?

There must be, as it's been used to debug games and do pretty advanced stuff which go well over my competence/knowledge.

I'm a hardware guy, so I don't really use emulators and can't help you out on this, but try shooting (no pun intended) a mail to the developer, I'm sure he'll tell you how to rip VGMs from the running game.

ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

"Debugging" games and "VGM logging" are completely different use cases, I'm afraid.
Having VGM support doesn't mean you also have debugging features and having debugging features doesn't mean you have VGM logging support.

In case of BlastEm, I could find a VGM player in the source code, but there is no trace of a VGM logger. You can log each YM2612 channel to a separate WAV file (probably because it's useful for debugging FM emulation issues), but that's all really.

Also, I'm afraid I forgot about this earlier, but Sonic of 8! also did a rip of this and PM'ed me this a few weeks ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7kvmpk9cx3dv8r/Darius%20%28MD%29.zip?dl=1
donluca
Been Here for a Bit

Post by donluca »

Guessed as much, although I think that the author should have no problems implementing a VGM logger, I think I've already bugged him in the past for something (at this point I think I've annoyed most of the internet community revolving around mega drive and videogame music with requests/ramblings :P ), might as well send a mail asking for it if 2ch hasn't already.

Or open a ticket on github or wherever the project is hosted at.

There are some things which are off in some of the tracks in the current p2612 sets (Sonic 3's base stage, second act, IIRC, being one of them, off the top of my head) which might be due to inaccuracies in the emulator used to do the logging.

Also, do you mind me asking you a thing via PM about QSound? I got to know you were among the ones who worked on uncovering the secrets behind the usage of QSound in CPS2 arcade hardware and wanted to ask you a thing about it, since an argument about QSound in CPS2 arose elsewhere and you were mentioned in it.

ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Just feel free to ask. (In general: Don't ask me whether or not you can ask. Just ask.)

Also: The only thing that could be improved by using a more accurate emulator would be playback rate of DAC samples. All other issues should be related to the trimming process. (Or in case of Rocket Knight Adventures, Fusion fixed the incorrect initialization after v3.54 - it is at 3.64 now.)