Hacking for VGMs

Got a new set? Wanna point something out with an old set? Wanna update an existing set? Here's your place to do it!
TEOL
Been Here for a Bit

Hacking for VGMs

Post by TEOL »

I have no clue about hacking into the actual sound banks of the Z80 to get the musics extracted but I had a mess around in the Regen Debugger Z80 on Mr. Nutz Hoppin' Mad (Europe) (Proto) and the dancing numbers range from 01B0 2nd one in up until 0240 second to last number where the last number on that line is only a static one not dancing to the music.

Just watching the banks dancing is a bit of fun although I know nothing about dumping the tracks from the Z80.

This was the values on Nature by the way and some of the later tracks dance for shorter or longer values in the Z80 but seem to all start at the same value.
Koto
Been Here for a Bit

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Koto »

Nevermind...

See ya
Richter X

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Richter X »

Well, I've already made progress on Bill's Tomato Game.

FF9012 seems to be the sound test code. It's not entirely perfect, however. Using it at certain parts will cause rather bad skipping in the music. So be sure you're somewhere stable.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Hacking for VGMs

Post by ValleyBell »

Actually I've done some research already.
Whenever I should have some spare time and feel like doing some VGMs, I'll make a full rip and release my hacking notes.

If someone would be able to compile a list of songs, that would be nice though.
Here is what I have for the 2-byte value in FF9012/13:

Code: Select all

00D0    Logo
0019    Intro
0002    Menu
0000/1  [Stop Music]
003A    Map Screen
00B0    Puzzle Play
00BF    Puzzle Clear

btw: The sound format seems to be pattern-based (like MOD and XM). So one song can use multiple pattern IDs.

EDIT: Songs are 02..CF, SFX are D0..E4, higher values play garbage
Doommaster1994
Been Here for a Bit

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Doommaster1994 »

I made a couple codes for Bill's Tomato Game.
FFEDDA:0000 and FF9032:0000 - Disable sound effects
FFB24B:0000 - Freeze Intro

I only logged the Tempest Software and Introduction songs.
Valet2
New Around Here

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Valet2 »

Here are hacks with working sound tests for Urban Strike and Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

ftp://ftp.valet2.com/segahacks

In Urban Strike go to "options" menu, then select the hidden line beneath the "joystick" option. Press right or left to select a song, C to play or B to stop. Ripping vgm's from here is a lot better because there's a noticeable delay in music in intros when the pictures are being changed.

In The Lost World the game stays on SEGA screen. It's ok. You're in invisible sound test menu. Press up to increase song number (you're on zero on default) or down to decrease. Press A to play and B to stop.

Sadly these games are not in the site's database yet.
Mysterii
New Around Here

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Mysterii »

I know that there are about 4 different versions of the boss theme from Sonic Spinball, and about two versions depending on if it is PAL or NTSC, and they are for the most part different than the one that's currently up on the site.
nensondubois

Hacking for VGMs

Post by nensondubois »

So I found something that really interested me just by randomly searching on Youtube for "unused song". I was really hoping this was what I was expecting to hear when I saw the video and clicked. Sure enough it is real. Unfortunately, the guy who found this didn't have an access method to play the song, so I of course doing what I excel and took the liberty of dissassembling the ROM.

This is the original video that genhoaxer found the unused song in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRIDcWOZarc

Code: Select all

Top Gear 2.bin

Title screen music modifier
0251EA:00??
01 - Title screen (Used)
02 - Canterbury Plains
03 - Ayers Rock
04 - Unused Jingle?
05 - Title Screen (Unused)
06 - Auckland

Play Unused Song at Title Screen
AZJT-EAHL

http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/12747 ... #post96696
Monkeymook

Hacking for VGMs

Post by Monkeymook »

Why thank you for this, nelsondubois!

We'll get the track logged and trimmed and get the pack updated!
nensondubois

Hacking for VGMs

Post by nensondubois »

There are still quite a few sets that are either missing songs or have incorrect information that I'm considering fixing over time. I'm thinking about finally finishing that Art Alive set I started a few years ago but silently abandoned for unspecific reasons.