YMstat GYM parser

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
neologix

YMstat GYM parser

Post by neologix »

http://sphere.sourceforge.net/neologix/files/ymstat.zip

YMstat is a windows command-line app i wrote to parse a .GYM log into a readable text file (similar to the freeware "midistat"). Apparently this was last compiled in 2005, before .VGM became the de-facto YM log format. v1.0 output to plain text, while v1.1 could output to html using a command-line switch. v2 will support inputting of .VGM logs, as well as .CYM logs.

Usage:
ymstat.exe [options] gymfile [> outfile]

gymfile - the file to process
> outfile (optional) - the file to which to save output
Options are:
-o Enable HTML output
-h Show instructions on using this program

Beware if the GYM's total filesize is more than 320KB.

Source code is available upon request. Make sure that if you use the HTML switch that you output it to a file or printer, otherwise your screen will be flooded with HTML. Accompanied with the program is some notes I wrote regarding the YM2612 while I was learning what each register did. I edit a GYM by hand using a hex editor to figure out what certain presets sound like, and YMstat helped me greatly in reading .GYM logs. BTW, I'm American, so all calculations are using NTSC 60Hz unless otherwise noted.

Alex Rosario
Shiru
New Around Here

Post by Shiru »

neologix wrote:Beware if the GYM's total filesize is more than 320KB.

It will be good if you add switch, which disable output for 6 channel of YM2612 in DAC mode (disable by default, enable by switch) - because this data is useless in human-readable form.
neologix

Post by neologix »

an update to ymstat will not only feature more switches for command-line versions, it will also feature the release of the gui version of ymstat (at least for mac os x anyways), and v2 might very well become vgmstat. i so far look to be designing the mac gui version to feature turning on/off vgm channels individually, with DAC events as a toggle separate from ym2612 ch6. the interface looks designed only for the three sega chips, but i'm quite sure i'll be able to expand it to include the cps chip in the options as well. once again, source code for the command-line version(s) will be available upon request (i've successfully compiled the original v1.1 CLI of ymstat to mac unix, so it looks like the cross-platformability i attempted to anticipate worked out).
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

All this is stuff that VGMTool ought to be doing, and could be contributed to that project instead. It already has a skeleton incomplete TXT writer for YM2612 and it'd be a small copy/paste/edit from there to add in channel stripping in the same way it's already done for YM2413 and PSG.

If I could just find some way to work on VGMTool without having to give up working for a living... *sigh*
neologix

Post by neologix »

Maxim wrote:All this is stuff that VGMTool ought to be doing, and could be contributed to that project instead. It already has a skeleton incomplete TXT writer for YM2612 and it'd be a small copy/paste/edit from there to add in channel stripping in the same way it's already done for YM2413 and PSG.

If I could just find some way to work on VGMTool without having to give up working for a living... *sigh*

where can i find vgmtool's current source so that i may attempt to add my part to the windows version?