Sega CD VGM Player

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Richter X

Sega CD VGM Player

Post by Richter X »

I'll be getting a SegaCD soon, and I was wondering. Could it be possible to make a VGM player you could burn to a disc and use it to play VGMs using the Sega hardware? Sounds like a nifty idea, especially for various testing purposes.
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Yes, but it might not be able to play them totally perfectly since it'd need to be loading stuff into RAM on the fly (possibly decompressing as it goes) and attempting to process thousands of commands per second. I'm sure it could keep up overall, if the data streaming was done cleverly, but the way PCM is stored could be a problem with larger samples (due to not having much RAM and the impossibility of fast seeking on disk).
Dr.Wily
New Around Here

Sega CD VGM Player

Post by Dr.Wily »

Bumb this topic !

but the way PCM is stored could be a problem with larger samples (due to not having much RAM and the impossibility of fast seeking on disk).

afaik Sega-CD has 768kb of ram, there no VGM over this size.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Sega CD VGM Player

Post by ValleyBell »

Please note that all VGMs on this site are compressed with gzip and this makes them much smaller.
But the MegaDrive hardware is too weak for real-time decompression I think, and uncompressed VGMs quicky get a size of 2 or 3 MB.
example: Soinc Spinball - Lava Powerhouse (252 KB compressed) can be decompressed to 3.15 MB.
neologix

Sega CD VGM Player

Post by neologix »

A little late to the party and possible necro-post, but someone on SpritesMind Forums (ChillyWilly, I think) has written/is writing a SegaCD VGM player. Watch for it!