GYM Sample ripper

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Siamey
New Around Here

GYM Sample ripper

Post by Siamey »

Are there any programs (or methods that would work for someone like me, where php is the extent of my programming knowledge) for ripping samples from gym/vgm files? man i really want to make a sample pack of sounds from the sonic soundtrack.
with spc files you just turn them into impulse tracker and then take out the samples with something like modplug tracker but i have no idea with gyms :(
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Easy :)

1. Take a VGZ file from this site (something that's been run through the VGM sample optimiser program)
2. Uncompress it - try renaming to .vgm.gz and go from there, or use VGMTool
3. Load it up in a wave editor as raw 8-bit unsigned PCM. Try 16kHz as a first guess at the sampling rate.
4. Your samples are in front of you, with a little bit of non-audio data before and a whole load after which will hurt your ears if you play it.

Alternatively, you could use PHP to decompress and parse the file, and save out the sample data block, but the manual process only takes a few seconds.
neologix

Post by neologix »

with gyms, i wrote a DAC logger in php which also times the sample rates of each occurence of a DAC note CORRECTLY. when i finish ymstat/vgmstat DAC ripping and instrument preset ripping will be available.