50hz games running on 60 hz megadrive

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Supergens
New Around Here

Post by Supergens »

hello,

i am new to this board but i have been digging through no-intro megadrive sets for a while and have come accustomed to the sound processor.

i have come across a few games that if you would play the pal rom (50hz) on a ntsc system (60hz) that the music and gameplay (maybe) is sped up 10 frames. Some tracks i believe sound better with this tempo-sped up. A good example is Shinobi 3. you can try it in kega.

I was curious if anyone has come across the idea.

~P.S. i originally came across this using the Everdrive MD, NTSC-J genesis and loading the PAL ver of shinobi 3; alien soldier and some others that do not come to mind at the moment
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I'm late, but better late then never ;)

If you're using in_vgm, you can set "Playback Rate" to 72 Hz. This way the music for most (if not all) packs should be sped up exactly the same as if you're playing a PAL game with 60 Hz.
Supergens
New Around Here

Post by Supergens »

i am using foo_gep, although i do not see where you can specify what Hz you want, i did notice that you can increase or decrease tempo form 100%. 110% roughly is the sound i am looking for, but if i want to be that specific i might as well run it on the megadrive itself =P.
Thanks for letting me know i can confiigure the plugin ;)

I am using foobar2000 portable, winXP.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

60/50 = 1.2, so 120% is exactly what you want. Unlike the Playback Rate field in in_vgm, this also will always work and doesn't depend on settings of the VGMs itself.
Supergens
New Around Here

Post by Supergens »

Thank you!

Now if there was a way to save playback.... (and covert it to mp3 maybe?)