vgm2mid tempo issue

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Carrot
New Around Here

vgm2mid tempo issue

Post by Carrot »

Dear community,

first of all: thanks for having such a great website. =)

I'm really new to all of this. I'm a huge fan of the old genesis soundtracks and so far I've been able to install winamp and the chipamp plugin in order to play all the ost which works great.

I'm also a musician and I'd like to convert all those files to midi so I can import them in my DAW (i.e. Reaper). The tool I use for this is v2m05src by Paul Jensen. Unfortunately his email-address is no longer working so I have no idea how to get in touch with him. My problem: Converting a vgm file into a midi file works great but when I import the midi file into my DAW i notice that the bpm info is missing - my DAW does not recognise the bpm of the song. Is there anyway to include the bpm of a song within the midi file?
That would it make so much easier to cover those old soundtracks - one example I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoxFwZklxnk

I hope my comment makes any sense to you - unfortunately I have no knowledge about technical aspects of the issue.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Carrot
Duke Nukem
New Around Here

vgm2mid tempo issue

Post by Duke Nukem »

Due to the nature of VGM files (which are basically dumps of the data registers sent to the chip), there's no trivial way to infer BPM out of these tracks.

Most converters assume a certain BPM and write the MIDI file accordingly. Figuring out BPM algorithmically is non-trivial for audio data, let alone raw chip register data.

I'm afraid you'll have to tweak the songs manually. I wrote a script a while back to convert MIDIs generated in such a fashion to an arbitrary BPM (effectively aligning the MIDI events to a proper beat/bar structure), but I don't have it anymore. If you can code, I suggest you do something similar.