Ys III: Wanderers From Ys

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Knurek, I think I just sent you an e-mail through the Hoot archive and didn't realize that it's you!...

So yeah. I sent you an e-mail asking about MT-32 emulation.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I just figured out how to turn off Hoot's low-pass filter, even though I have been deciphering the INI since the first use. Here it is: lpf=0

No wonder X68000 soundtracks used to sound better than Hoot! What's this fft_winfunc stuff, though? I changed it to 0 (rectangular.) :sonic:
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

SmartOne wrote:I just figured out how to turn off Hoot's low-pass filter, even though I have be deciphering the INI since the first use. Here it is: lpf=0

No wonder X68000 soundtracks used to sound better than Hoot! What's this fft_winfunc stuff, though? I changed it to 0 (rectangular.) :sonic:

Thanks for info, never knew it was on.What exactly is fft_winfunc?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Low-pass filter is enabled by default on X68000. No wonder those LPF-less studio soundtracks usually sound too bright and clean compared to the commoner's hardware. Whether it sounds better or not is a matter of taste and personal experience.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Bleeding edge, baby.

The X68000 itself had a low-pass filter? Hoot's low-pass filter definitely applied to all emulated systems. You sure about that?
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

LPFs are the first things I kick out in any hardware I have... LPFs cutting into audible freq ranges.
I want my sound to be crisp and clear, if I want muffled sound I'll fire up my SNES :P
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
Warpstar
New Around Here

Post by Warpstar »

I believe Hoot's LPF can also be toggled on and off during operation with the L key.