Ys III: Wanderers From Ys

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Ys III: Wanderers From Ys

Post by SmartOne »

I played through this game last night (TurboGrafx-16 version with Magic Engine.) I'm a huge fan of Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements, and I think he actually did some composing in this one...?

The detailed backgrounds combined with the music were especially moving. The gameplay seemed too challenging, so I gave myself infinite hit points. :cool: This also helps speed the whole process of what I coined "Video Game Experiencationalism." :p

I am listening to the Genesis port's VGM set, and I think this version of the music is the best for this game! Even better than the CD audio. Probably another favorite to add to my list. Go have a listen!

These boards should try to be less dead. Just a suggestion.
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Ys is one of those series (of which there are many) that I've wished I had experienced when I actually owned a TG16. I think I understand what you are getting at with the "experienceationalism". These days, with limited game time, nothing kills my motivation to play old school games like old school difficulty. I'd consider cheating justified if it allows me to actually experience a game that otherwise I wouldn't have the time for.

I've got Ys III, IV, and V SNES sound sets, but I've not listened to the VGMs. I'll have to give III a try on VGM as I've found several soundtracks that didn't translate well on the SNES (Thunder Force III/Thunder Spirits). Ys IV and V are actually quite good though, surprisingly so actually.

Anyway, when the mood strikes me I'll give Ys a playthrough on god-mode and see what it's all about.

Oh, as an aside, I'm embarrassed to admit that I just recently discovered the title is pronounced "eese", while I always read it to myself as "wise". LOL...oh well.

EDIT: I just completed a play through the VGM set for Ys III, and it was very nice indeed. I'm glad you brought it up.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

:)

You hit "experiencationalism" right on the head.

I had the exact same "wise" problem! Even after hearing the opening narrator say "eese" I thought he was talking about something else! My brother was with me and he was like, "Uh, isn't it pronounced 'eese?'" Doh!

I'm glad you liked it!
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Yonemitsu is ace. He's a brilliant arranger but he didn't write any original composition in Ys 3 (except for the opening).
bucky
New Around Here

Post by bucky »

SmartOne wrote:I am listening to the Genesis port's VGM set, and I think this version of the music is the best for this game! Even better than the CD audio. Probably another favorite to add to my list. Go have a listen!

The only other versions I've heard are the SNES and Famicom soundtracks, but I have to agree. Not to discredit the SNES soundtrack, it's pretty great and it's the first version I heard. When I finally checked out the VGM set I was really impressed and pleased.

I ripped it to mp3 if anyone wants it in that format -
http://explod.tumblr.com/post/25460439
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Which plugin did you use to play the VGMs? AamirM's in_gme.dll is the best yet. Are the MP3's VBR?
bucky
New Around Here

Post by bucky »

The mp3s are not VBR, but they are 224 kbps and should hopefully please the ear.
I'll have to check out that plugin, thanks!

I try to make a conscious effort to make sure I'm sampling from the best sounding players available and not exporting to a compression of mp3 that is too noticeable.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Here's the only link to AamirM's injected Regen sound core into GME: http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/in_gme.zip

Hopefully he'll continue to update it and fix the few annoyances (short songs cutting off...)
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

bucky wrote:The only other versions I've heard are the SNES and Famicom soundtracks, but I have to agree. Not to discredit the SNES soundtrack, it's pretty great and it's the first version I heard. When I finally checked out the VGM set I was really impressed and pleased.

I ripped it to mp3 if anyone wants it in that format -
http://explod.tumblr.com/post/25460439

I think the X68000 version is even better. Well, it's an inside port, as opposed to the Mega Drive version which was ported by Telenet Japan, and it kinda shows. Plus it has some exclusive tracks.

And the MSX2 version is good for laughs, since it's only 3 PSG channels, and the tunes still sound pretty good in spite of that.

Both playable in Hoot. :)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Is it possible to emulate X68000 music?