Ys III: Wanderers From Ys

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

SmartOne wrote:Is it possible to emulate X68000 music?

Like I've said, both versions are playable in Hoot sound emulator:
http://snesmusic.org/hoot/
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Wow, never heard of that! I'll check it out. How does it rank in terms of accuracy?

After doing my own searching through endless Japanese websites, I found this (English!) site with a Winamp plugin for MDX X68000 music files: http://xperiment.rainemu.com/

It was very unclear, but I figured out you need the DLL files contained in MXDRV 1.42 and X68Sound in the C:\WINDOWS\system directory for the plugin to work. Now it sounds great! I have a new format to listen to! :cool:

I don't know if MXV - MXDRV World Vision is a better player...

EDIT: I'm having trouble getting Hoot to play anything. I've updated the INI file and put a few games' data files into the x68k folder. Nothing shows up once Hoot loads.

EDIT AGAIN: Figured out. You have to keep the files inside the ZIP. The instructions fail to mention that crucial detail.
By the way, Hoot is much better than that Winamp MDX plugin. :sonic:
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

SmartOne wrote:EDIT AGAIN: Figured out. You have to keep the files inside the ZIP. The instructions fail to mention that crucial detail.
By the way, Hoot is much better than that Winamp MDX plugin. :sonic:

Yes, well, Hoot uses original game driver most of the time, while the MDX files you've mentioned are fan made conversions, so yeah, it's gonna sound better. :)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Wow, all these weird chips to emulate... And why is finding the MT-32 ROM files so hard? Who cares???

I wish it all came in one package.

The Ys X68000 files aren't working. :( Do I have to do something to the BINs? Extract some files possibly?
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

SmartOne wrote:Wow, all these weird chips to emulate... And why is finding the MT-32 ROM files so hard? Who cares???

Because they are copyrighted and Roland, maker of MT-32 doesn't like seeing them distributed very much. :|

SmartOne wrote:The Ys X68000 files aren't working. :( Do I have to do something to the BINs? Extract some files possibly?

Works for me.
I'll reiterate what you should do:

1. Get latest hoot executable from here: http://dmpsoft.s17.xrea.com/hoot/index.html#program (2008/08/27 version)
2. Extract everything from there into some folder
3. Delete the XML subfolder from there
3. Get the INI Enhancements (http://snesmusic.org/hoot/hoot-ini.zip), extract that into the same folder (overwriting some files (hoot.xml, hoot.ini) during the process.
4. Download the set you want from the site (it works with download accelerators, so if you want to get the whole collection, feel free to use them). Put the *ZIP* files into any of the rom folders in Hoot directory (pc88/pc98/x1/x68k, doesn't matter where, those are included for guys like me who care for tidyness). Don't extract anything from those.
5. Start Hoot (if you have it running already and added some sets, Ctrl+R does a set refresh).

Hope it helps.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

BIOS files and the like... Such a chore. Still having trouble with the Ys X68K.

Wait a tick... downloaded again and now they're working. Yay! I must have done something dumb along the way.
Thanks for all the help!

Is there an Ys II for X68000?
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

SmartOne wrote:Wait a tick... downloaded again and now they're working. Yay! I must have done something dumb along the way.
Thanks for all the help!

No problems, always happy seeing someone new finding out about Hoot. Makes my work worthwhile

SmartOne wrote:Is there an Ys II for X68000?

Not an official one, I think there's a fanmade port, but noone did make a Hoot patch for it yet.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

X68000 may be a new love. Akumajo Dracula sounds amazing! Theme of Simon rivals the version in Castlevania Bloodlines.

Can you recommend any other sets that are equally or even more awesome?
Knurek
New Around Here

Post by Knurek »

vivian->pc-98->Black Bird (OPNA)->Striker
arsys->x68000->Star Cruiser->Desert Zone
black_package->pc-98->Kara no Naka no Kotori (OPNA)->An Erased Voice is Noise
c's_ware->pc-98->Eve: Burst Error (86)->Pinch: Theme 5
bothtec->pc-88->The Scheme (OPNA)->Death World
cocktail_soft->x68000->Cosmic Psycho->STG3
desire->pc-98->Yuugiri (OPNA)->Misplaced Madness
elf->pc-98->The Girl Who Sings Love at The End of This World: Yu-No (OPNA)->Sudden Change
falcom->pc-98->Brandish VT (OPNA)->the prop
giga->pc-98->Steam-Heart's (OPNA)->Inorganic NRG
doujin->firecracker->Firecracker Music Collection Vol. 37->Marine Blue (2nd track)

Planety more, but I need to go to work. :)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Thanks! I downloaded them all. Will listen.