Most accurate VGM playback ever...

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I just realized that you can create rom images with this to play in accurate emulators for sweet WAV writing! Not as convenient as a full-featured VGM player in the emulators, but better than nothing!
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

Is someone going to kindly make some recordings?
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

You think recordings through crappy Genesis components and a composite cable will sound better than Kega or Regen?

Plus, I'd expect you'll want lossy MP3 or similar. If you REALLY would like some recordings, I could do that for you when I have access to my Genesis.

EDIT: You can make VGM_PLAY build a rom and automatically launch an emulator to play! This doesn't work with Regen. :(
It would be really cool if you could drop an M3U playlist onto PLAY_VGM, have it build the rom of the whole playlist, AND launch the emulator.
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

SmartOne wrote:You think recordings through crappy Genesis components and a composite cable will sound better than Kega or Regen

I guess you are quite right, there would be way too much noise interference in the recordings, but there is always that authenticity thing, which was what I was initially thinking about. Of course Kega is crystal clear, and is my number one choice.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

I am trying to do the audio mod that TmEE created, so I can test this.I am sure it would sound great using his mods.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

The mod is questionable. Does mod = accurate emulated output with minimal sample rate conversion madness?
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Post by Christuserloeser »

Guys, buy a Model #1 with the HD logo if you want good sound. From what you're describing you guys have Model #2's.

And yes: It does sound MUCH better on a Model 1 Genny than on any emulator, including Kega or Regen.

Here, this is what you should be looking for if you want good sound:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5506
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

What is this "HD logo" with which you speak? How is model 1 better?
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Check the link above to see how a model #1 with HD logo looks like. It has this circle saying HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS (AND SOUND) or something.

Here's a good link to show the difference between the models:
http://arcade.ym2149.com/megadrive/

Edit: I don't think the track really highlights the difference as much as many other tracks would, but you can definitely hear just how much better it sounds.

Oh, yeah: Pulstar uploaded a mixtape he made: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104582&postcount=29
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Here's another intesting thread: http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev//forum/viewtopic.php?t=320

- We compared my Model #1 HD Genesis vs X'eye vs TmEE's mod. TmEE's mod beats the shit out of the X'eye, which usually would be among the best things you can get regarding its sound output.

In comparision to a Model #1 HD Genny the CCAM seems just a bit cleaner, but doesn't really sound better in my opinion. However, in our tests there was one track (on his TestROM) where the CCAM definitely performed better than the unmodified Model #1, due to the different sound chips used (Model #1 has Yamaha, Model #2 SEGA built YM2612 variant).

Another track, Golden Axe - Death Adder, benefited greatly from TmEE's mod, as the Model #1 mixer introduced a bit of noise on this specific track, even though it's such an early variant.

I send TmEE some hardware to get it modded. I will keep my unmodified Model #1 HD Genesis as well, so I got the best of both worlds.