Most accurate VGM playback ever...

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I've read the SpritesMind thread and can't produce any sort of verdict... What does CCAM mean?

Model 1 uses an official YM2612. Model 2 uses a SEGA variant. What did SEGA change? Why? Probably cost?

There's a difference between Model 1 and Model 1 HD? How?
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Post by Christuserloeser »

To answer your last question first: the sound mixer is different. The HD model is the best MD/G variant you can get.

The SEGA variant of YM2612 is slightly different. TmEE prefers it to the original Yamaha one. Of course, without his mod the only option to hear it in acceptable quality would be a Nomad or X'eye, and even then it's not comparable to Model #1 Genesis nor TmEE's CCAM.

CCAM stands for Crystal Clear Audio Mod. It replaces the mixer in Model #2 based hardware and thus gets rid of all the muffling and noise. It really does sound like you've just opened the door and stepped into another room, it's that much of a difference.

Still, without his CCAM, the only way to really enjoy the YM2612 the way it's been meant to be would be to get a Model #1 with HD logo.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Christuserloeser wrote:CCAM stands for Crystal Clear Audio Mod. It replaces the mixer in Model #2 based hardware and thus gets rid of all the muffling and noise. It really does sound like you've just opened the door and stepped into another room, it's that much a difference.

I believe you. I've heard the recordings! :sonic: Regen sounds comparable, no?

Christuserloeser wrote:Still, without his CCAM, the only way to really enjoy the YM2612 would be to get a Model #1 with HD logo.

My Model 2 is inferior. :cry: I wish I could perform this awesomeness myself. Suppose recordings from my hardware are as good as trash.
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

SmartOne wrote:I believe you. I've heard the recordings! :sonic: Regen sounds comparable, no?

Yeah, it's absolutely comparable. I will do some tests, but I am pretty sure it is.

- And even if it's not: don't forget that there always will be better and more accurate emulators in the future.

SmartOne wrote:My Model 2 is inferior. :cry: I wish I could perform this awesomeness myself. Suppose recordings from my hardware are as good as trash.

Yeah, I would definitely not go all the way and do recordings from a Model #2.

If you would want it modded, just ask TmEE. I am sure he'll do it, and he doesn't ask that much for it.
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Just did some tests and it's much brighter and cleaner than both the CCAM recording and the Model #1 recording. And I am actually surprised by the difference in comparision to Gens or Kega.

I know that AamirM is following Nemesis' research on the YM2612 and eke-eke's updates to the MAME core, so that probably explains the huge jump in accuracy.

Still, it's not actually the same. While of an accuracy that we only could dream of a few years ago, it doesn't actually beat real hardware.

- Although that's probably something for purists that definitely want to play on real hardware.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

You just confused the crap out of me.What gives you the highest quality and accurate sound.I have a HD model 1, but it's broken.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

A recording of the Konami Screen from Rocket Knight Adventures on the best hardware/mod would be interesting, indeed. Simple and clean.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I'll do a recording shortly
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
Christuserloeser
New Around Here

Kokujin wrote:What gives you the highest quality and accurate sound.

Model #1 Genesis / Mega Drive with HD logo.

- or any Model #2 based hardware with TmEE's CCAM.

Both options have advantages. TmEE's CCAM sounds slightly cleaner than a Model #1 with HD logo. In the end both sound excellent though, and are miles ahead of any other option.

Kokujin wrote:I have a HD model 1, but it's broken.

Send it to TmEE so he can fix it. Should be worth it to save this one from being thrown into garbage.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

If I am going to send it to him, should I just send my model 2, so he can mod that?Wow, I didn't realize he doesn't live in the U.S.A., this could get pricey.