Sega Megadrive II /YM2612 chip controlled live via midi!

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Smithy
New Around Here

Sega Megadrive II /YM2612 chip controlled live via midi!

Post by Smithy »

Litte Scale Blog

Using midi sent from Ableton Live to the Sega Mega Drive II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKRUM9IUM4

Controlling the console directly from a midi keyboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hFf-_qi3aI

He also has a vid of a sega master system (SN76489) being controlled via ableton live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXMVAGHwNI

Pretty cool stuff, would be awesome if he makes the project open source, so anyone can play live music from a mega drive!

Im guessing you cant embedd youtube vids on the forum?

Now theres a suggestion for the site! ;)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Smithy wrote:Im guessing you cant embedd youtube vids on the forum?

Hehe, stalepie would go crazy. :D

I'll take a look at that MIDI stuff.

EDIT: Oops, the Master System link is a duplicate. This is really cool! Too bad I'll never actually do it, nor am I a skilled enough musician to make anything of it. I'm one of those people who sit down at keyboards just to play with the different random sounds. Phat sounds are the best. :p
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

This is by far one of the coolest things I've ever seen.I can't for this to become available.
Smithy
New Around Here

Post by Smithy »

SmartOne wrote:EDIT: Oops, the Master System link is a duplicate. This is really cool! Too bad I'll never actually do it, nor am I a skilled enough musician to make anything of it. I'm one of those people who sit down at keyboards just to play with the different random sounds. Phat sounds are the best. :p

fixed! Ctrl + C only works when it wants to on this keyboard! Its annoying.

Man you dont exactly need to be able to play classical piano to make a chip tune!

Just hit the sequence of keys that you feel at that moment, keep it simple.

Sure you could always use a tracker or sequencer to send the midi out, if you dont feel comfortable with using a keyboard....
and still come up with some cool stuff!

You have to remember that the chiptune composers of retro games,
didnt record the tune by using a midi keyboard,

some used trackers which would of seemed like a luxury back then, where as most would of typed pages and pages of code!
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Smithy wrote:Man you dont exactly need to be able to play classical piano to make a chip tune!

Just hit the sequence of keys that you feel at that moment, keep it simple.

Assuming you already have a somewhat intelligent chord progression going and perhaps some sort of percussion figured out.

The bottom line: If you suck at improvising (like me,) you're not going to be able to make anything good. Ideas come from improvisation. Good ideas come from fully understanding music. Believe me, I've tried countless times to sit down and create. It always ends with me frustrated.

Trackers are a blessing and a curse because then I feel like it has to be absolutely perfect. Otherwise it's unbearable. Also, I've never used a "real" tracker with the numbers and letters and junk scrolling down the screen (ala ModPlug.) I prefer to watch other people's masterpieces play while wondering, "How in the world did they ever manage to do that? :huh::huh::huh:"

I wish there was someone I knew that I could sit down and watch them work to maybe figure out simply HOW people go about it.

Anyway. That's my dilemma.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

I have the same problem, I've been using fruity loops for almost 5 years, and I haven't made a single song yet.