Top 10 Video Game Themes Ever

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

The list should have been just consoles because that Duke Nukem entry is bizarre. It practically invalidates the list on its own merit. I find it strange how they pick that over anything from the DOOM series, being that it was the same composer; Robert Prince.
Robby99999
New Around Here

Post by Robby99999 »

Avanze wrote:but not one single Commodore 64 entry, total sacralidge in my book. The NES just sounds like crap to me.

Technically, the C64's SID sound chip has more capabilities than the NES.

The SID can use either square/pulse wave, sawtooth wave, sine wave, triangle wave or noise in any of its 3 (4 if you count the "digi" channel) sound channels, and you can also combine a number of waveforms on a given channel.
The NES only has square/pulse wave, triangle wave, and noise available, and each of these have a designated sound channel: Ch.1 for square/pulse, Ch.2 for square/pulse, Ch.3 for triangle, Ch.4 for noise.

The "noise" on the SID is not limited to white noise as it is on the NES. You can do various different colors of noises.

The SID has a filter, which the NES doesn't have. On the C64, this was often used to make more diverse sounds.

And lastly, the C64 SID chip can play samples (referred to as digi samples) at a somewhat higher quality than the NES' DPCM channel (Ch.5).
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Though C64 is technically superior, I still enjoy the compositions I've heard on the NES much more than the C64. The NES sounds "richer." Extra channels also contribute to more sophisticated music.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

SmartOne wrote:Though C64 is technically superior, I still enjoy the compositions I've heard on the NES much more than the C64. The NES sounds "richer." Extra channels also contribute to more sophisticated music.
It also had expansion capabilities. Look at the VRC VI games (Such as Esper Dream 2 and Akumajou Densetsu, the Japanese version of Castlevania III.)

Or better yet, Lagrange Point, with its VRC VII. That contained, for all intents and purposes, a YM2413.

The C64 may have had the "superior" sound Hardware, but it wasn't expandable. The 2A03 on the NES was.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

2A03 is not expandable, the analog circuit (in Famicoms) allowed for extra audio signals from cartslot...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Akumajou Densetsu rawks.

Lagrange Point's music is really neat too... it had a YM2413 in the cart (for all intents and purposes?) Awesome!
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

TmEE wrote:2A03 is not expandable, the analog circuit (in Famicoms) allowed for extra audio signals from cartslot...
Just lack of better wording, really. The 2A03 also controlled sound, so that's what I used. Sorry if that means I minced the details. :p
SmartOne wrote:Akumajou Densetsu rawks.

Lagrange Point's music is really neat too... it had a YM2413 in the cart (for all intents and purposes?) Awesome!
Yes, AD rocks. And yes, Lagrange Point basically had a YM2413 in the cart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Memory_Controller#VRC7

Wikipedia wrote:The VRC7 was a very advanced MMC chip from Konami, not only supporting bank switching and IRQ counting equivalent to the VRC6 but also containing a YM2413 derivative providing 6 channels of FM Synthesis audio.
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Yeah, I was pretty excited about this list when they announced it would be coming. I posted my opinion which is why you probably noticed my name among those in the list of credits...lol. Anyway, the list was a disappointment to me in a few ways. I could have accepted a list without my two picks (Metroid's "Kraid Theme", and Simon's Quest's "Bloody Tears"), but I honestly was disappointed with the picks that made the list. Really, the whole project was doomed from the outset. There's no way to pick 10 themes representing the best of all videogame music. With that small concession, it doesn't seem to me like they really even tried, and just went with a few choices that were "interesting" or "unexpected". Then they threw in a few that every gamer alive would recognize. Then picked a few that are really worthy of the title "best" such as the Secret of Mana opener, and the Mega Man 2 "Dr. Wily's Castle" theme. I do hope they attempt future lists for VG music, and I suggested they impose a more narrow and specific theme for each list going forward.
brother-ernest
New Around Here

Post by brother-ernest »

Screw Attack seem to be nintendo biased most of the time anyway.
Plus that list is about recognisable themes. Not best
which i think it did a fairly good job of.

Personally I wouldve loved to hear something along the lines of TF4 opening theme
or Gunstar Heroes Military on max power. but thye just wouldnt have the same appeal with the nintendo fed kids over on gametrailers
neologix

Post by neologix »

brother-ernest wrote:Personally I wouldve loved to hear something along the lines of ... Gunstar Heroes Military on max power.

which version, original genesis version, gba version, arranged version, or the arrange that's the last track of the large "gunstar heroes: sound collection?"