Top 10 Video Game Themes Ever

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Avanze

Top 10 Video Game Themes Ever

Post by Avanze »

Check it out here; http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41663.html

10 - Sonic The Hedgehog

Which was the only YM2612 entry in the list. The rest is all NES and SNES. The latter I can accept as the SPC700 could churn out some decent tunes, but not one single Commodore 64 entry, total sacralidge in my book. The NES just sounds like crap to me.

Your thoughts?
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

Wait, I'm confused on the last sentence. How many of the remaining tunes are NES because if there are only one or two, I can understand the "sounds like crap" statement better. As for me, I tend to lean towards NES and Genesis but that's just me.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Nice video. Entertaining. I like all the songs on there (although calling that list the "best" isn't true.) I'm not familiar with Duke Nukem, so that's the only one that stuck out. They should've replaced that with something better, like Jazz Jackrabbit. The video credits music was a waste of bandwidth.

Now I have to play Secret of Mana! RPGs take long.
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

The lack of any Cube sound driver games (SHINING FORCE II) is incredibly depressing and makes me question the validity of this list.
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

MisterHarlequin wrote:Wait, I'm confused on the last sentence. How many of the remaining tunes are NES because if there are only one or two, I can understand the "sounds like crap" statement better.

Yes, there was only three NES tracks in the list to be fair, but it felt like more. I can understand that if you grew up with a NES you could possibly adore that sound, but I never owned a NES myself, strictly the Master System. So to my ears it sounds like crap. Thinking about it, this list should be been called "Most Memorable" rather then best. It already has the Super Mario Theme and Zelda, but best, that is just wrong.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

C64 generally sounds like crap to me. Great Giana Sisters is good. I've been hard-pressed to find any other SIDs enjoyable in terms of music. In terms of interesting sound effects, I suppose the C64 can do some cool stuff.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

I used to think the C64 didn't have any good soundtracks until I heard Last Ninja 2.There are some good soundtracks, you just have to look for them.As for the list, I think it's alright not even close for being the "best".
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Notice how they describe the Super Metroid song. "It's so chilling with all those dead bodies laying around!" Uh, that's not part of the music. That's just an example of visuals paired with fitting and emotional music. If you want to make a "Best Themes" list, then you'd better make it clear how you're picking the songs.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

That was fun and interesting, because it's a list of individual songs, and not a list with "the best videogame soundtracks". I like when it's specific like that, but it's an impossible thing to put together. How could a group of people agree on the songs? They have millions to choose from? Impossible...

The only thing I could agree with would be Secret of Mana. But wich song? The Title Screen music isn't my personal favourite. I'm not so particularly fond of the main melody of that tune, but I really like the parts that follow after the main melody. My favourite I think is "Into the Thick of it" , but I also love "Spirit of the Night" and "A Wish" (the song in the snowy place).

Otherwise it seems to be too much "retro" or "nostalgia" mentality behind this list. They are thinking too much about the games and the experience they've had with the games. I have never liked the Super Mario Bros tune. I hate it, to be honest. But I've never been a fan of the NES either.

Zelda: A Link to the Past has a few nice tunes. But I'm not a fan of the sounds. My favourite from that game is Sanctuary Dungeon (just found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UyVXN13SI). It stands out from the rest I think. But I also like the harp song, whatever it's called.

Avanze wrote:The NES just sounds like crap to me.

I couldn't agree more. I'm very critical towards the machine and its games altogether. They all sound the same because of the extremely limited amount of sounds it has. I assume that there is no way for a developer to create his own sounds on it, so everyone uses the same. There's a special reverb and delay effects wich are overused. But there is also very little variation in musical expressions on NES. And in every respect, all their games are onedimensional and express the same thing. Nintendo is about entertainment, the games are easy to get into and are very harmless, they all give the same vibe, they have something childish about them. Nintendo had strict ways I guess. Strictly about entertainment, not exciting experiences in a broader sense.

The C-64 has millions of incredible songs. Wich makes this list a joke, but it's impossible to try and make a "serious" list of the 10 greatest songs. It's of course a mad idea.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Lists like these are always subjective. Ask any gamer his 10 favorite songs and for most of those answers you'll get different ones every time.

There might be a few greats that consistently show up, though. In America, it will be more NES-biased than Europe, because the Master System didn't have nearly the penetration that the NES-dominated 1980s enjoyed over here, partially due to Nintendo's rather nasty third-party "regulations" that severely harmed developers who developed for anything other than the NES, usually with "chip shortages."