in_vgx

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

@Mouser X:
Thanks for the info. in_vgx is single threaded, NOT. :)
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

The "cutting-off short" issue with Winamp has been fixed.

Later today I'll try to get DAC panning working.
JILost
New Around Here

Post by JILost »

There is one song that I have never heard emulated correctly in anything. If Fusion or something else does it correctly, by all means, name it and send me a savestate if it doesn't play VGMs.

"Advanced" from Phantasy Star II (track 11 in the VGM set). In most VGM players and emulators before, the fade-y instrument in the background at the beginning was emulated wrong -- it would fade too far, or too fast, or whatever other bug. Now everything is fine until 0:25. The bell-like instrument is very incorrect in the in_vgx posted by SmartOne, along with the most recent version of the regular foo_gep -- though the problem is SLIGHTLY less prominent in foo_gep. Haven't tried with AamirM's foo_gep but I assume it'll be one or the other. Haven't tried with in_vgm recently but I seem to remember it having the fading problem above.

Anyway, just making this known so maybe it can be fixed after 10 years of being incorrect.

Edit: Here's an MP3 recorded from my Genesis for reference: http://www.purpleguppy.net/music/Phantasy%20Star%202%20-%20Shure%20Building.mp3
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

There is one song that I have never heard emulated correctly in anything. If Fusion or something else does it correctly, by all means, name it and send me a savestate if it doesn't play VGMs.

"Advanced" from Phantasy Star II (track 11 in the VGM set). In most VGM players and emulators before, the fade-y instrument in the background at the beginning was emulated wrong -- it would fade too far, or too fast, or whatever other bug. Now everything is fine until 0:25. The bell-like instrument is very incorrect in the in_vgx posted by SmartOne, along with the most recent version of the regular foo_gep -- though the problem is SLIGHTLY less prominent in foo_gep. Haven't tried with AamirM's foo_gep but I assume it'll be one or the other. Haven't tried with in_vgm recently but I seem to remember it having the fading problem above.

Anyway, just making this known so maybe it can be fixed after 10 years of being incorrect.

Edit: Here's an MP3 recorded from my Genesis for reference: http://www.purpleguppy.net/music/Pha...20Building.mp3

Unfotunately, my headphones are completely broken right now so I cannot listen/test it correctly myself right now. But you can! Download this ROM. It plays that VGM track on emulators. Then, get Regen 0.96 from here and load it up in it and test for yourself. Make sure that "SuperHQ" option is turned on.
JILost
New Around Here

Post by JILost »

Wow. I'm impressed. An emulator's finally got it right. Now why don't the Winamp/foobar plugins reflect this? :)
Avanze

Post by Avanze »

Just out of curiosity, did you test using Kega too?
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

JILost wrote:Wow. I'm impressed. An emulator's finally got it right. Now why don't the Winamp/foobar plugins reflect this? :)

in_vgx and my modified foo_gep contain a bit outdated FM emulators than whats in Regen 0.96 :) . I should update these plugins someday :P .
JILost
New Around Here

Post by JILost »

Avanze wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you test using Kega too?

I did, just now. Most recent version of Kega Fusion, even. The emulation of the instrument at 0:25 is still "off" in the same way it is with in_vgx, just not quite as severely. Still not quite right, though.
BMF54123
New Around Here

Post by BMF54123 »

Several tracks from Landstalker are pretty broken in both this and Maxim's latest in_vgm (using the Genesis Plus GX core):

The Death God's Invitation
Torchlight
To The Great Adventurers

There are some weird volume fluctuations on the lead instruments in these tracks (nearly shattered my eardrums listening on my PSP via GameMusicGear). They sound okay in the older in_vgm (using the Gens core), until you turn on SSG emulation. Hmmmm.

(apologies if this is a known issue, several forum searches yielded no results)
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

@ BMF54123
You can try these tracks on Regen 0.96. It has completely new SSG-EG implementation which was written after a lot of new researching.

You can download this file to generate ROM files from VGM/VGZ files. Then these generated ROM files can be used on emulators (and even real hardware if you have flash cart).

Please let me know if these tracks are still broken so I'll investigate them further.