in_vgx

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

in_vgx

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Got some free time today so I decided to do this. This is the update to the plugin I posted earlier. In case somebody didn't knew, its a VGM plugin for Winamp/XMPlay. Here is whats new:

1) Includes my latest FM core. This has not been released even in Regen yet.
2) Plugin only includes support for, and registers, the VGM/VGZ files so one can use other plugins for other formats.
3) Sound will be more cleaner, clearer and less muffled.
4) FM channel muting support.
5) Some VGM files which didn't work previously now work.
6) YM2413 emulator support through Mitsutaka Okazaki's YM2413 emulator.
7) Some other stuff which I can't recall :) .

I couldn't notice the cut-off problem SmartOne reported so that may be unfixed. foo_gep users will have to wait a little bit ;) .

Download the new plugin from here.

stay safe and enjoy,

AamirM
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Did I ever mention that I love you? :kiss:

Still listening intently (new Genesis music player feels like Christmas. :p )
Fixed length songs still get cutoff. Let me find you some good examples...

Sonic the Hedgehog: "Title Theme" the final low note should sustain and you should be able to hear the YM2612 fuzzies, but they get cutt-off. :cry:

Columns 3: "Victory!" "Mummy's Awakening" "Introductory Theme"
Whoa, listen to "Wild Shellfish," "Yes, Yes!," "The Opening Bell," and "Unfinished Roll" in order (as they are in the M3U.) Winamp skips by them very quickly.

Want more examples from a million more games?

Other than the few imperfections that still exist in the already great Regen sound core itself, this plugin sounds amazing. It's much clearer than the previous one. FM channel muting is wonderful.

I wish I could update Chipamp with all the best players for everything (including this,) so more people would be more up-to-date on high-quality and accurate chiptune players.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

somethings sound better and somethings sound worse with this plugin.I will admit though when it sounds good, it's leaps and bounds better than other plugins.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

The PSG is softer. Probably could be boosted a bit. Ocassionally an FM channel sounds a little loud, but it could be my imagination.
Overall I love it.

Eek, Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Winged Fortress Zone notes out of tune at beginning.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Assertion Failed!

File: .\gme\Dual_Resampler.cpp
Line: 67

Expression: count == (long) sample_buf_size

This happened after I had played some SMS VGM files and tried to load some Genesis ones.
Robby99999
New Around Here

Post by Robby99999 »

I just tried the plug-in and notice that the DAC isn't in stereo.
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

Hm, the volume of the core is a lot higher than that of in_vgm so as noted there does seem to be extra distortion on some louder tracks.
I'd like to see a volume control that works like in_vgm's.
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

The main things I notice is that it ends songs seconds sooner than they should. The PSG is too quiet and the FM is too loud, might need to add a volume adjust for each chip into the plugin so everyone can Have it Their Way (tm). :D
AamirM
Been Here for a Bit

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
Columns 3: "Victory!" "Mummy's Awakening" "Introductory Theme"
Whoa, listen to "Wild Shellfish," "Yes, Yes!," "The Opening Bell," and "Unfinished Roll" in order (as they are in the M3U.) Winamp skips by them very quickly.

Have you tried it in XMPlay? I've only tested this on XMPlay because Winamp takes forever to load. Anyways, I'll try out those tracks soon.
somethings sound better and somethings sound worse with this plugin.I will admit though when it sounds good, it's leaps and bounds better than other plugins.

Can you tell where does it sounds worse so I can fix it?
I just tried the plug-in and notice that the DAC isn't in stereo.

You do know that you can't play DAC in stereo on the real thing, right? :P

I have noted all other problems everyone reported. I'll try to fix them when I get some free time.

EDIT:
Okay, just tested it on Winamp and now I can notice the cut-off problem. XMPlay doesn't have this problem so please use it instead. Its better, trust me :) .

stay safe,

AamirM
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I spent my night switching over to XMPlay. It's a pain because it requires a lot of tweaking to even sound right. You need to download a separate plugin just to enable DirectSound. Without it, adjusting the volume while playing any file made a hiss. Not to mention needing a custom skin because the default sucks. Sterling XP ftw. The options menu is pretty terrible.

Anyway, I'm using XMPlay more often now, and the short song problem persists though simply in a different form. Intead of quickly advancing to the next song, the short song infinitely loops! Try the same Columns 3 songs.