Game's music that exemplifies random categories

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
SmartOne

Game's music that exemplifies random categories

Post by SmartOne »

Rocking hard:
Contra Hard Corps

Trippy:
Streets of Rage 3

Unique/Defining YM2612:
Rocket Knight Adventures

Uplifting:
Ristar

Orchestrated:
Shining Force

Asian/Pop:
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Funky:
Toejam and Earl

Rock:
Comix Zone

Mysterious/Ambient:
Ecco the Dolphin

Busy(:cool:):
Gunstar Heroes

Deep Bass:
Sparkster

Trance:
Vectorman

Pure/Clean:
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

Best overall:
Dynamite Headdy

Because I felt like it. Post your own.
muteKi
New Around Here

Post by muteKi »

I think Thunder Force IV (a.k.a. Lightening Force) is far more rocking that Contra Hard Corps (which is no slouch, mind you, when it comes down to it), and I prefer Shining Force II to the original.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Contra Hard Corps is the most hardcore AND extremely enjoyable game that I have played. It just rocks. Everything about it screams awesome. (This is the Japanese version, mind you. Like I've said many times before, the USA version was stupidly made more difficult.) The music is really a mix of funk, rock, and techno.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

SmartOne, I'm with you 100%.Contra Hard Corps is the one of the best experiences I've had with any game and part of it is due to it's soundtrack,it just gets you pumped I get that same feeling with Batman and Robin.The most rock based soundtrack is probably Thunder Force IV, either that or Battle Mania Daiginjou.For orchestrated music, it's hands down Shining Force II.It has in my opinion the best instrumentation of any Genesis game.Listen to character joins and listen to the flute at the end, it's simply impressive.For the defining sound category it's hands down going Batman and Robin, the sounds Jesper managed to get from that chip is just incredible, and he never even used the PSG.The most unique soundtrack I can name off the top of my head is probably Alien Soldier.The whole game is just weird, and Hanzawa made a soundtrack to match, in my opinion his best work.For me a game with a clean soundtrack was Crusader of Centy, its sounds nice.One a side note there are a lot of games with impressive sounds.Socket for instances has one of the best bass guitars I've heard on the Genesis, I even extracted so I could use it on VOPM.