VGM to OGG?

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Actually, thats not entirely true. APE is supported by some personal players, i.e Iaudio players :D They have the best sound of any MP3 player in my opinion, from what I've tested.

140kbps, I'll give that a go, thanks :)
Ah the good old days... :D
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Last question before I start conversion.
I ran another test though, converting to OGG, and even if I set the bitrate to 300kbps (q9) varible, the size was almost exactly the same, as when set to 160kbps (q5) variable.

What is the best VGM decoder for Winamp available now?

At the moment, I'm using GME
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

To tell you the truth, I've lost track. There was AamirM's in_vgx and Maxim's WIP in_vgm2.

in_vgx = old Regen
in_vgm2 = Genesis Plus GX (improved MAME)

(M)GME is the older MAME core, so I'd choose between the above two.
Kage
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kage »

Thanks SmartOne :)

I think since there is a 2 next to the second one, I may take it as being the better version... haha, or maybe the Regan core is the most accurate of the two.

Which one do you prefer maybe a better solution... haha

Also, sorry to carry on, but since OGG/Flac are loopable, its entirely possible that I could set repeat on, and it could loop the track over and over, but with the GME I have at the moment for example, you can only set it to loop forever, or if not, the track fades out at the end.

I'll give them two a shot to see what I think :)

EDIT:

VGM2 I've got installed now, or at least, the latest BETA Maxim has released. March 2009 I believe it is.

Weird thing is, if you double click, or select 'view file info', nothing happens anymore, and also in the Plugin settings, all the channel parts are blank. I remember on an older plugin, I could disable channels, etc, but that doesn't matter for the ripping.
As long as its accurate enough, it'll do fine.
neologix

Post by neologix »

yea, he didn't finish redoing the config dialogs. he remade the plugin from scratch and became busy recently, so it's kinda understood. if he released the source (i'll probably ask him in the next couple of days or so) others could flesh out the dialogs while he's busy or something.