VGM2MID that supports 2612

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
savvn
New Around Here

VGM2MID that supports 2612

Post by savvn »

Well, we all know that GYM2MID can do this, but since VGM is better format for logging music, is there a converter that would convert the VGM's with all the channels? Because the normal VGM2MID only works for the 8 bit logging, meaning that only 3 channels come out, which isn't all the channels that a genesis has.
neologix

Post by neologix »

i'm actually working on adding vgm-to-midi conversion into vgmtool. maxim (maker of vgmtool) gave me permission to port & update vgmtool, and paul jensen (maker of gym2mid & vgm2mid) gave me permission to use his algorithms in my work. the main issue w/the current available vgm2mid (version 0.05) is that while the code is ready to support 2612, the vgm reading doesn't yet (the issue is vgm version 1.50 added data blocks, which the converter cannot get past).

in a few days i'll be uploading a preview version of a vgm-to-midi converter. i say "preview" because while the final product will be written in c++ along w/the rest of vgmtool, this first version will be written in javascript and require the sphere engine to run it. i will post full instructions when i post it, but suffice it to say due to limitations of the current stable version of sphere (1.5) it will ONLY support vgm w/NO SUPPORT for vgz (gz-compressed vgm).

i was kind of hoping to keep this a surprise, but now i again see someone wanting a vgm2mid that works w/version 1.50 vgms, so now i must post. :/ this vgm-to-midi WILL support ym2612, ym2413, ym2151, and psg, therefore will support the entire current vgm standard. this will theoretically be the code i use to help speed me along the c++ version.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

We do have a program called UnOptVGM that will de-convert a 1.50 VGM to a 1.00 or 1.01 VGM. If you'd like, I could certainly attach that.

Not sure if I got source though.
neologix

Post by neologix »

please do! i could stand to add some extra functionality to vgmtool.

also, i will be posting shortly regarding my progress.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Here you go, standalone EXE and commandline only, so I hope you're comfy with that. I have no idea how well it actually does the conversion, i.e; if it's exactly as the VGM would be in 1.01 before being converted to 1.50. The few VGMs I converted to sounded fine... of course, you'd still have to assign instruments and such manually, or it's all pretty garbled. :)

I think Duke has the source; if not, Maxim might. I'll try to bug Duke and see if it turns anything up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.