VGM-to-MIDI Converter (JavaScript based)

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
neologix

Post by neologix »

if you could provide me w/the vgm so I could test it myself as well, that'd be appreciated.

i've been working on putting ym2151 conversion in lately, so once that's done & proper (and hopefully some of the more nagging problems like dropped note ons) i'll upload the newest version.
neologix

Post by neologix »

project updated! PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD THE PROJECT.

http://spheredev.org/~neologix/beta/vgm2midi.zip

biggest change btwn this and the last one is the ability to convert ym2151 vgms.

that problem savvn had was a result of the code attempting to write an empty GD3 string to the midi file. the file he gave me also allowed me to fix another underlying bug that i had a feeling existed, but wasn't able to check properly: PAL vgms would sound sped up cuz the midi's resolution stayed at NTSC (30, aka 60/2) instead of changing for PAL (25, aka 50/2).

the method i used to fix the note dropping has introduced a random incorrect pitch issue. it usually happens w/a pitch bending note; "stage 1" of atomic runner chelnov has this prominently.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

Where can I get YM2151 VGM files?
neologix

Post by neologix »

AFAIK, the only way to get ym2151 vgm files is to convert *.cym dumps. *.cym files can be dumped from kawaks, mame (requires some specific instructions to enable which escape me ATM), callus (the originator of the format), and probably one or two other cps-1 emulators. run the cym file thru vgmtool's format converter and voila - a ym2151 format vgm. ATM, the only in_vgm that can play those vgms is pre-v2 in_vgm (until maxim gets some time or something).

IIRC, the currently available public vgmtool allows proper conversion (the resulting files are marked vgm version 1.10; my as of yet unreleased update marks them 1.50). if it doesn't, then i guess i'm gonna have to release my update rather incomplete sooner than i planned... :/
savvn
New Around Here

Post by savvn »

Cool, it works now, the only thing I would suggest is improve the percussion, it comes out wierd in some songs, and sometimes dosn't even appear. Other than that great!
neologix

Post by neologix »

percussion is primarily a DAC channel thing, and i have yet to even begin properly on THAT. psg noise channel should be fine, tho, and if one knows enough javascript there exists a boolean switch (which will be a checkbox in the official vgmtool) that lets one choose to put psg noise on a melody channel (as seashore or applause or something) instead of percussion channel.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

If you could get percussion making, I could actually do some nice reinstrumenting of songs that depend on DAC.

But good luck with that... there's some incredibly DAC-heavy songs to test though. Pulseman's a pretty good example of that.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

It would be cool if you could replace crappy DAC samples in VGMs. Ristar for example.
cj31387
New Around Here

Post by cj31387 »

The link is dead. Can someone please provide a working link for the newest vgm2midi tool? I also looked around at neologix site, and saw he worked on a spc2midi tool also, if someone has a link for that also that would be cool.
WizardTheme
New Around Here

Post by WizardTheme »

I'd also really like to get my hands on this app if anyone still has it.