VGM-to-MIDI Converter (JavaScript based)

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I attached the lastest version he did.
I don't know if he's developing his vgm2mid anymore. He may have stopped to work on it because of the improvements I did on Paul Jensen's vgm2mid.
It would be still nice to have 2 vgm2mid-programs. It's actually very useful to have 1 track per channel as this vgm2mid does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Heh, this would help me out since from time to time I like to take a MIDI, load it up in Reason, and re-instrument it, too. :p

I'll give it a look once I get home.
WizardTheme
New Around Here

Post by WizardTheme »

Thanks, ValleyBell. It's great to have more than one program for this, though yours still remains the best and easiest to use.

I have a cheap old Casio CTK-651 that I've been using to re-instrument stuff. I never really messed around with MIDI until I realized that with these apps I had access to every song on this site in MIDI form as well. It's almost stupid how fun it is to simply change an instrument to something else. Organ sounds? Guitars now. Piano sounds? Accordion now. So fun. :D
neologix

Re: VGM-to-MIDI Converter

Post by neologix »

howdy! i'm sorry i've been away from project2612 so long; real life can be a bitch and that still takes most of my time.

i'm glad there's interest in my converter, even after all this time! regarding hosting, the site on which it was originally located underwent a server move, so anything that links to my account there (including, it seems, my sig banner) will 404. i need to relocate my many projects, but in the meantime the attachment valleybell posted should suffice.

lots of stuff to talk about; where to start?

regarding updates to the tool itself, valleybell is mostly right that i've slowed down (halted?) development on this javascript-based converter mainly because of all the improvements he made to jensen's vgm2mid, the other reason being i pretty much can't go much further with this tool using javascript on sphere without introducing a very significant amount of slowdown unless i force the required sphere version to be the 1.6 beta (which has built-in gzip API scripting) that we at spherical are still currently testing. even so, now that i have a javascript ym2612 core, adding the instrument preview i wanted would still be hella slow in sphere, and doing the level of conversion i've always wanted would require multiple passes thru the vgm (SLOW) and is not worth spending time doing it in js when i could theoretically start doing it in c or c++ (as was originally planned).

the final update to this sphere-run js-based converter will fix ym2612 note conversion (especially on pitch bends, like in the previously mentioned atomic runner tracks), (hopefully) have better csm mode conversion, have a more definitive psg noise conversion (i believe i'll hard-code a particular set of percussion notes to it), and if i update the minimum requirements to sphere 1.6 beta it will support vgz. i wish i could do more regarding DAC conversion, but it would be so slow on sphere that it would hang it.

after the final sphere-based update, i will almost certainly port this to something more browser-friendly (either all js using the new html5 stuff or js on top of php). also, i'll probably host this sphere version on github soon. the final goal with this project has been and always will be the addition of native vgm-to-midi conversion to vgmtool proper, and the sphere project was simply a proof-of-concept for me to mockup the process flow.

valleybell has done fantastic work updating vgm2mid and i whole-heartedly recommend using that to convert your v1.50 or lower vgms. it is my hope that the vgm-to-midi functionality to be integrated to vgmtool is anywhere near as good as his updates.
djfuq.org
New Around Here

Re: VGM-to-MIDI Converter (JavaScript based)

Post by djfuq.org »

THANKS FOR CODING THIS!!! ALSO THANKS TO benryves and jensen!!!

I am going to test this out right now... hopefully I can convert some vgm to midi asap as this is my latest hobby - convert game music to midi, load it into reason and have a jam session of nostalgic melody, but with modern synths (this can be good or bad lol - i love and prefer the ORIGINAL audio texture of the yamaha chip, but its fun to hear it haxed into something modern)

P.S. I cant wait to see your next release of this tool --

P.S.v2 I wonder if someday we can have enough control of this format to make a decent tracker that could play a vgm file with the original emulated chips so we could compose or remix sega genesis tracks that sound like the original!!!! this is my dream, has been for ages, I just such at coding or else I would do it ---- ah well, someday!!!!
seiji_konokama
New Around Here

Post by seiji_konokama »

ValleyBell, you rock! I was looking all over the internet for the JavaScript version of vgm2mid, and I thank you for putting a glorious end to my extensive searching. :D
Whatever you may need, it's never a problem for a Konokama.
neologix

Post by neologix »

please keep in mind the version vb mirrored here only runs successfully in the sphere engine. now that i've mostly gotten ym2612-js and psg-js out of the way i'm actually working on porting my sphere javascript to web javascript (the main issues are file read/write) and i'll be putting both versions on github soon.