Model 1 Sound Question.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Model 1 Sound Question.

Post by Kokujin »

When I listen to my Model 1 through the headphones, I hear low humming sound.Is this normal?
Richter X

Post by Richter X »

Yes, the audio quality of some Model 1 Sega Genesis really aren't that great.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Apparently the ones with "High Definition Graphics" printed on them have the best sound. They are probably the oldest?
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

SmartOne wrote:Apparently the ones with "High Definition Graphics" printed on them have the best sound. They are probably the oldest?

That's the one I have.
Robby99999
New Around Here

Post by Robby99999 »

Kokujin wrote:That's the one I have.

There are some refurbished model 1's at video game stores that contain the cover with the "High Definition Graphics" logo written on it but are actually late model 1's.

The thing you should check to see if a Genesis is an early model 1 or a late one is to look on the back to see if there is an EXT port. If there is not, then it is a late model 1.

In this case, what they did was use the cover from an HDG model 1 Genesis as the cover for the refurbished late model 1.

I had something like this happen this past spring. My early model 1 Genesis broke when I was trying to do a mod on it, so I went to the nearby game store to get another one. I saw one with HDG written on top, so I got it. However, when I got home, I noticed that there was not an EXT port on the back (my other Genesis had one). I fired up the system, and the sound quality wasn't as good as my other model 1. It seemed to have a staticy hum at lower volumes. So, I returned it and ordered a real HDG model 1 from e-bay, and it has good sound quality as my other one did.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

I checked, and I have a real Model 1 Genesis.I have also realized it changes from game to game.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

To say the least. The quality of the FM programming varies greatly between different drivers. I'd like to see a list of known Genesis sound drivers detailing what each game uses (GEMS, etc...) Thought there was something like this somewhere... This would be nice to add to each game's page as well.
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

Here it is.http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List

It's very informative.You can also hear what games use what drivers just from listening to the sound track.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

humming sound suggest weak power supply or dying capacitors or both.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)