gym tracker?

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
majsitik
New Around Here

gym tracker?

Post by majsitik »

Hi, Thanks for your time.
What tools can I use to edit gym - like Im doing with OpenMPT with midi\mod\s3m\it..
Thanks again.
bucky
New Around Here

Post by bucky »

Unfortunately, I don't think something like this exists, and it might not even be possible.
What's more unique to mod / s3m and formats such as those, is that the music file is often the same thing as the project file. You can listen to a mod file, but you can also open it up and play around with it.

Most emulated audio formats don't work like this. They contain song data and whatever playback code that's necessary for it to work, but an edit-able 'source' isn't handy. A good example would be famitracker (a tool for making NES music). It can export .NSF files, but you can't open NSFs and edit them. The only thing you can edit is the original project file, if you have it. For game GYMs, you don't have whatever their equivalent of a 'project file' would be.

There are some tools to rip 'instrument' data out of vgm files/ roms, however, so you can at least get the same patches or sounds from a soundtrack of your choice. You can use them in TFM music maker.
majistik2
New Around Here

Post by majistik2 »

I understand. You have saved me a lot of tome. Thank you!!

bucky wrote:There are some tools to rip 'instrument' data out of vgm files/ roms, however, so you can at least get the same patches or sounds from a soundtrack of your choice. You can use them in TFM music maker.

What tools can I use to get instruments out of NES and GENESIS roms?
bucky
New Around Here

Post by bucky »

Ah sorry for taking a while to get back. My friend explained the process here-
http://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=14680

You don't actually use the .vgm as the source, but the ROM.
1. Get the GensKmod emulator

2. Run ROM

3. In the File Browser... CPU>Debug>Genesis>SoundYM2612

4. Select your channel

5. Hit Dump Channel

6. You get a .y12 file

7. Open the .y12 file as an Instrument in TFM

This is for genesis / megadrive music.

If you want to do NES music, there isn't a tool for ripping instruments. There are ways to 'analyze' sounds in NES music and, while it's a bit tedious, it's not too hard to recreate an instrument from scratch in famitracker. If you'd like to know more about that I can elaborate. I did a very accurate recreation of a Mega Man III track, with literally nothing "ripped" from the original in any way-
http://8bc.org/music/bucky/Mega+Man+3+-+Wily+Part+2+Recreation/
majistik2
New Around Here

Post by majistik2 »

Thank you!!
andlabs
New Around Here

Re: gym tracker?

Post by andlabs »

And a long-abandoned format that causes newer programs nothing but problems at that. There's really no reason to continue using it, especially now that ValleyBell has added support for the Mega Drive's various addons to the VGM format.
andlabs
New Around Here

Re: gym tracker?

Post by andlabs »

Only the ones that haven't been dumped =P VGM ripping is in Kega Fusion right now and has been for a while. I guess Gens variants will add it soon. There's also that MESS mod ValleyBell mentioned in another forum...

Of course, a fair number of games don't have sound tests, but that's where I come in =P