Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
jamesdude
New Around Here

Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Post by jamesdude »

I know its hard to pick a favorite track from the sets but what are your top 5 favs. Here are mine:

1. Streets/Harbor (Dick Tracy)
2. Fantasy Area (Kid chamelion)
3. Intro (Greendog)
4. Title (Universal Soldier)
5. Anicent Mound (Golden Axe 3)
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

That's tough. I'll give it a stab though.

1) Kernel Pages (Pulseman)
2) Diamond Dust Zone 2 (Sonic 3D Blast)
3) Space Boss (The Adventures of Batman and Robin)
4) Roller Coaster/Funhouse [Tied] (Nightmare Circus)
5) Happy Paradise (Streets of Rage 3)

Although this is definitely not hardwired; this just seems to be what I'm in the mood to listen to at the moment. Could be due to what I've been watching as of late, however...
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

1) Lorenzen's Soil (Earthworm Jim 2)
2) Lava Powerhouse (Sonic Spinball)
3) Title Theme (Chuck Rock)
4) Sticker (Puyo Puyo)
5) Wharf (Mickey Mania)

Ugh, it's hard to rank all but the first two. I'd swear they're all tied. But these are the ones I'll simply never get tired of.

Edit: Recently discovered the joys of Lorenzen's Soil. NOTHING OUTDOES IT
Last edited by Jackalope on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flimflam
New Around Here

Post by flimflam »

1) Stage 5-1 (Rocket Knight Adventures)
2) Exercise Mode (Puyo Puyo)
3) Mystic Cave 1P (Sonic 2)
4) Networked Melon (Columns III)
5) Pirate Ship (Buster's Hidden Treasure)

I know I'm forgetting something...
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

It's tough to cut it down to 5, but here they are:

1) Back To Square One (Herzog Zwei)
2) Final Take a Chance (Thunder Force III)
3) The Sinking Old Sanctuary (Castlevania: Bloodlines)
4) Beatnik on the Ship (Streets of Rage)
5) Concentration (Super Monaco GP)

EDIT: I've been checking out some new sets thanks to this thread. So far I've found Sonic 3D Blast to be excellent. I also gave Pulseman a third try, and I found I really like some of the tracks. I'm looking forward to exploring more of the favorites listed here. :)
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

This was not an easy choice... and these are from only the included sets on the site.
1. Sound Test 11 (Flashback)
2. New Rock (Virtual Pinball)
3. Lorenzen's Soil (Earthworm Jim 2)
4. Final Level (World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck) Interesting how the Yamaha2612 can sound.
5. Puzzle Mode (Pac-Attack) Good for when you go to Failblog.org
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

nensondubois wrote:1. Sound Test 11 (Flashback)

*nods* Hell yeah. I loved this game, and this track takes me right back there.

"The American Dream is just that…a dream. Not a reality. The reality is a nightmare covered by illusions of freedom."

I'd be interested to read your explanation in a separate thread. Taken by itself, this statement could mean so many things it will likely mean something different to each person who reads it.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

DeepChild wrote:I'd be interested to read your explanation in a separate thread. Taken by itself, this statement could mean so many things it will likely mean something different to each person who reads it.
Heh... don't get me started on philosophy. I can absolutely rip people apart with it.

Here's a bit of it I wrote for a work I publish weekly:
Humans can be thought of, really, as complex machines; a set of highly-ordered systems whose individual components may seem superficially chaotic, but they are adjustable, understandable, and controllable when you know exactly what you are doing.

But this comes at a price.

That price is that such order in the self causes disorder in the environment. When we carve out a home that is comfortable for ourselves, we disturb the comfort of the place where we build it. Life, therefore, is allowed to exist because as it grows, the cosmic energies in the universe shift around to accommodate it. Therefore, the more structured the life, the more chaos grows elsewhere.

An equivalent exchange.

This has been proven throughout history. Parasites feed off of their hosts. Empires are built upon misery and enslavement of the losers. Those with superior tact triumph over those who favor sheer, stupid force. The strong thrive, the weak die, and in this manner, balance of all things are sustained.
Feel free to pick that apart.
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

DeepChild wrote:*nods* Hell yeah. I loved this game, and this track takes me right back there..

The ominous dark elements of the song really sing to me. If that sounded a bit disturbed, oh well; I feel that way.

Flashback is indeed missing a few tracks in the VGM set including "papers" and the two battle scenarios; maybe I'll look into adding them sometime in the future when I have a little more time with my projects.

DeepChild wrote:I'd be interested to read your explanation in a separate thread. Taken by itself, this statement could mean so many things it will likely mean something different to each person who reads it.

Well philosophy offends some people, and no good will likely stem from my views and so they will likely remain a mystery. My apologies. If enough people do want to hear them, I'd happily consider posting away somewhere.

Dark Pulse wrote:Heh... don't get me started on philosophy. I can absolutely rip people apart with it.

Again as I said before, some people do feel uncomfortable about philosophy so it is wise not to bring it to the dinner table.

Here's a bit of it I wrote for a work I publish weekly:
Feel free to pick that apart.

Sounding redundant, I'm going to refrain entirely from picking your views apart since they define your individuality and making my notable passages would certainly scare you for a few days. p=
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

nensondubois wrote:Sounding redundant, I'm going to refrain entirely from picking your views apart since they define your individuality and making my notable passages would certainly scare you for a few days. p=
Try me. I live for philosophical thought sometimes.

And actually, that was my view through a character in a story, but it's pretty close to my normal view as-is.