Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Hmm. Fairly unlikely, since Squarewave did the harder method of VGM logging (He hacked the ROM) to get some of those tracks, so if there were any in there, I'm sure he would have gotten them.

That said, if you're SURE he missed something, and ideally can provide examples/footage/etc, put them up and I'll drag him over here by his 1-Up T-Shirt.

As an aside, while re-reading this thread a bit (I felt the need to look at Sacchin's picture again), I noted one of Quaze's recommendations...

Quaze wrote:
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - 2 Player vs.
This is actually a (very) slightly reworked version of a song that's been a mainstay in the Puyo Puyo games, which Mean Bean Machine is a westernized version of. It's actually the battle music for just about any Puyo Puyo game where you fight Satan, and is, obviously, one of the most popular songs from the series - it tends to make an appearance in almost any game where he's a character (which is most of them). You'll find this in the Puyo Puyo set as "Final". Some other songs from Puyo Puyo survive nearly untouched, such as "Sunset/Staff Roll", "Theme/Ending Theme (Also, one of the Unused songs)", "Memories/Password Entry", "Brave/Stage 13 Intro (also, one of the Unused songs)", "Sticker/Exercise Mode", and maybe a few others I'm forgetting here. These songs continue to be remixed, even in Puyo Puyo games, to this very day. I may provide some examples later.
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

I could hack the rom too, and hell even find songs spanning multiple banks (doubtfully he did that; looks he just passed off ram-based music modifier. also, I don't appreciate the doubtfulness of my ability to do things; just don't have the time to be logging songs for hours upon hours to, so I'm sticking to SPC hacking for now. I can confirm the Flashback songs do in fact exist in the game and do not exist in the VGM set just by telling the names and how to access them; going to reiterate my circumstance as stated before: I don't have the time otherwise I would log them myself, so maybe someone else will.) which proves very useful for finding unused songs as done to many Super Nintendo Games... seen over at SNESmusic.org and GSCentral.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

nensondubois wrote:I could hack the rom too, and hell even find songs spanning multiple banks (doubtfully he did that; looks he just passed off ram-based music modifier. also, I don't appreciate the doubtfulness of my ability to do things; just don't have the time to be logging songs for hours upon hours to, so I'm sticking to SPC hacking for now. I can confirm the Flashback songs do in fact exist in the game and do not exist in the VGM set just by telling the names and how to access them; going to reiterate my circumstance as stated before: I don't have the time otherwise I would log them myself, so maybe someone else will.) which proves very useful for finding unused songs as done to many Super Nintendo Games... seen over at SNESmusic.org and GSCentral.
Never said I doubted your ability to find them; I just said I doubted he missed any, but if you're sure that some are and know how to access them, tell me how (or leave the technical dirt on how) and I'll get him to update the set. Don't take my words as a personal dig at you, please; that isn't the intent.

Set updates are usually handled by the author who did them, and I'll admit I'm not as good at the technical guts of this as Squarewave was, so if I'm the one who has to update the set, I'll have to nag him for how to do it. I believe he used HazeMD to some extent, but past that my memory's fuzzy.
joseph2011
New Around Here

Post by joseph2011 »

Yeah I know its tough but I love Intro (Greendog)
jamesdude
New Around Here

Post by jamesdude »

To make a slight aleration to my list, my #1 favorite VGM is now Jungle Soup from Bond: The Duel.
Landale

Post by Landale »

Wandering Warriors - Shining Force II
Into the Deep Blue Sky - Master of Monsters
To the Great Adventurers - Landstalker
Sortie - Gauntlet IV
Silent Zone - Phantasy Star II
"Deel Klesso Ma Hahm"
RT-55J
New Around Here

Re: Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Post by RT-55J »

Stage 5-1 - Rocket Knight Adventures
Stage 5-1 - Mega Turrican
Chrome Gadget - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Psycho Section - The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Walking - Red Zone

Honorable mentions to Sub-Terrania, Shinobi 3, and anything by Hitoshi Sakamoto or Kazuo Hanzawa.
themrcul
New Around Here

Re: Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Post by themrcul »

This is really tough, because there are my favourites which I don't listen to as often, and the ones that I listen to often because they are fun (Top 10 would be easier). So, for the favourites list, I'll go

1. Into the Deep Blue Sky (Master of Monsters)
2. Zena-Lan's Stage (Cosmic Carnage)
3. Elven Town (+ Water Goddess Mitula mix) (Shining Force II)
4. A Ballad for Princess Loria (my beloved Landstalker)
5. Inner Darkside (Shinobi III)

And for the fun list: (cheating lol)
1. Lewanda's Love (ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron)
2. Break Silence (Ristar The Shooting Star)
3. Promoted Attack (Shining Force II)
4. Tonight's A Jazzy Night (Dynamite Headdy)
5. Antiquity (Socket (Time Dominator))