Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

nensondubois wrote:The American Dream is just that…a dream. Not a reality. The reality is a nightmare covered by illusions of freedom."

Without the benefit of an explanation I can only respond to what I assume you mean which is that America is not really about freedom and never was. I completely disagree. I've only to point to the Declaration of Independence for sufficient evidence. Unfortunately in the last 100 years or so, personal freedom has retreated under the weight of an overreaching federal government, but freedom itself is still the essence of America.

Dark Pulse wrote:Humans can be thought of, really, as complex machines; a set of highly-ordered systems whose individual components may seem superficially chaotic, but they are adjustable, understandable, and controllable when you know exactly what you are doing.

But this comes at a price.

That price is that such order in the self causes disorder in the environment. When we carve out a home that is comfortable for ourselves, we disturb the comfort of the place where we build it. Life, therefore, is allowed to exist because as it grows, the cosmic energies in the universe shift around to accommodate it. Therefore, the more structured the life, the more chaos grows elsewhere.

An equivalent exchange.

This has been proven throughout history. Parasites feed off of their hosts. Empires are built upon misery and enslavement of the losers. Those with superior tact triumph over those who favor sheer, stupid force. The strong thrive, the weak die, and in this manner, balance of all things are sustained.

That's a very interesting abstract view of life and society. I have a different view on order and chaos though. To me, the universe is supreme order, every piece behaving in a predictable fashion with mathematical precision even in its interaction with other pieces. Only living beings with an individual perspective divert from this pure order. However, only they can judge something as orderly or chaotic, and that judgement is valid only within their perspective.

For example, the construction of an ant hill is judged orderly and desirable by the ants, but chaotic and destructive by the human who's lawn is marred.

Therefore, chaos and order are subjective ideas based on the point of view of the observer and can't be judged objectively from a universal perspective.

All that is my opinion of course. Your mileage may vary.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

DeepChild wrote:That's a very interesting abstract view of life and society. I have a different view on order and chaos though. To me, the universe is supreme order, every piece behaving in a predictable fashion with mathematical precision even in its interaction with other pieces. Only living beings with an individual perspective divert from this pure order. However, only they can judge something as orderly or chaotic, and that judgement is valid only within their perspective.

For example, the construction of an ant hill is judged orderly and desirable by the ants, but chaotic and destructive by the human who's lawn is marred.

Therefore, chaos and order are subjective ideas based on the point of view of the observer and can't be judged objectively from a universal perspective.

All that is my opinion of course. Your mileage may vary.
I can pretty much agree with that - what is chaos and what is order depends on who or what perspective it is viewed from. For example, leveling some ground to build a home is chaos to the environment, but order for the human. To a dog, another dog intruding on its territory is chaos, and yet it tolerates humans because they help keep the order (and feed it and such.)

As this character was working from a personal view (she was reflecting upon herself at the time), she was relating that to her state herself - her state of being both a human and a demon. The story is full of things such as light and dark, good and evil, yin and yang... and she is essentially reflecting on how both are necessary, for without one there cannot be the other, and yet the balance is fluid and not rigid; sometimes it is more of one than the other, and vice versa.

If you're curious, that would be her in my avatar over there.
Firebrandx
New Around Here

Post by Firebrandx »

DeepChild wrote:It's tough to cut it down to 5, but here they are:

1) Back To Square One (Herzog Zwei)
2) Final Take a Chance (Thunder Force III)
3) The Sinking Old Sanctuary (Castlevania: Bloodlines)
4) Beatnik on the Ship (Streets of Rage)
5) Concentration (Super Monaco GP)

An excellent list.

It's too difficult for me to narrow my top list down to just 5 tracks. However, I can narrow it down to the top 25 and be satisfied I got my absolute favorites included. They are listed alphabetically as follows:

1) Castlevania: Bloodlines - The Sinking Old Sanctuary
2) Gaiares - Mission 4
3) Ghouls 'N Ghosts - The Village of Decay and Destruction
4) Ghouls 'N Ghosts - The Crystal Forrest
5) Herzog Zwei - Sleight of Hand
6) M.U.S.H.A. - Theme of Musha Aleste
7) M.U.S.H.A. - Galvanic Gear
8) M.U.S.H.A. - Divine Device
9) Phantasy Star II (English) - Silent Zone
10) Phelios - Watch Dog in Hell (Chapter 6)
11) Revenge of Shinobi - The Shinobi
12) Sonic the Hedgehog - Labyrinth Zone
13) Streets of Rage - Stealthy Steps
14) Streets of Rage - Attack the Barbarian
15) Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight
16) Streets of Rage 2 - Never Return Alive
17) Sword of Vermilion - Opening
18) Sword of Vermilion - Statts
19) Thunder Force II - Stage 4B
20) Thunder Force III - Beyond the Peace (Stage Select)
21) Thunder Force III - Twin Vulcan (Stage 2 Boss)
22) Thunder Force III - Final Take a Chance (Stage 5 Ellis)
23) Valis III - Ningenkai
24) Valis III - Makai
25) Whip Rush - Stage 2 (Underwater)
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Dark Pulse wrote:If you're curious, that would be her in my avatar over there.

She sounds like a really interesting character.

Firebrandx wrote:An excellent list.

Ditto to yours. There are quite a few similarities in what would be my top 25.
These two would break the top 10 easily:

Phantasy Star II (English) - Silent Zone
Sword of Vermilion - Statts

Best of all, I've got some new sets to try out now. I love this thread.
Firebrandx
New Around Here

Post by Firebrandx »

One thing I noticed about this site's rating system is that it has been abused with spam votes. Strider has over 65,000 votes for making the #1 spot, yet has only been downloaded 4k times. I'm betting most of those downloads were people fooled by the skewed votes, because the soundtrack for it is quite honestly sub-par. There are a couple of 'okay' tracks, but most of it is forgettable.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

DeepChild wrote:She sounds like a really interesting character.
I find her so. Out of that particular game's characters (a fairly large cast) she would be my favorite.

Although this person is second:

Moving on...

Firebrandx wrote:One thing I noticed about this site's rating system is that it has been abused with spam votes. Strider has over 65,000 votes for making the #1 spot, yet has only been downloaded 4k times. I'm betting most of those downloads were people fooled by the skewed votes, because the soundtrack for it is quite honestly sub-par. There are a couple of 'okay' tracks, but most of it is forgettable.
Obviously possible, but I don't think everyone who voted for it is going to download it either. It'd be more of "Oh hey, I remember that game!" And believe it or not, some people like soundtracks for games even though they're "bad."

For example, I actually like most of Shaq Fu's music, even though as a game it's absolutely horrible.
arkaikon
New Around Here

Post by arkaikon »

The most brilliant music that I ever heared is from One Genesis game... Dynamite Headdy.

1) Tonights a Jazzy Night (Dynamite Headdy)
2) South Towns (Dynamite Headdy)
3) Schumacher Fly (Dynamite Headdy)
4) Headdy the Hero (Dynamite Headdy)
5) Magical Sunken (McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure)

The last is from the same compooser of Dynamite Headdy and really there are songs of Dynamite Headdy that are better than the last one.

In the others of my favourite VGM

mmm

Ristar
Sonic 3&K Ice Cap, Lava Reef... All in overall but Ristar is better in overal for me.
Toejam & Earl 2 (The version Arranged by John Baker with real instruments is simply perfect but... I dont know if is original of John Baker or not).

Sorry for my poor english.
Firebrandx
New Around Here

Post by Firebrandx »

Dark Pulse wrote:Moving on...

Obviously possible, but I don't think everyone who voted for it is going to download it either. It'd be more of "Oh hey, I remember that game!" And believe it or not, some people like soundtracks for games even though they're "bad."

For example, I actually like most of Shaq Fu's music, even though as a game it's absolutely horrible.

65k votes for Strider is blatant spamming when you consider the next highest game only has about 3k votes. The "Oh hey, I remember that game!" argument only works if you see games like Sonic or Streets of Rage with 100k votes, which you don't. Nobody went ape-shit for the Strider soundtrack back when it was new, nor do they now. It's not this amazing phenomenon that everyone's gotta have Strider music, especially since the music was actually quite weak.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

arkaikon wrote:The most brilliant music that I ever heared is from One Genesis game... Dynamite Headdy.

1) Tonights a Jazzy Night (Dynamite Headdy)
2) South Towns (Dynamite Headdy)
3) Schumacher Fly (Dynamite Headdy)
4) Headdy the Hero (Dynamite Headdy)
5) Magical Sunken (McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure)

The last is from the same compooser of Dynamite Headdy and really there are songs of Dynamite Headdy that are better than the last one.

In the others of my favourite VGM

mmm

Ristar
Sonic 3&K Ice Cap, Lava Reef... All in overall but Ristar is better in overal for me.
Toejam & Earl 2 (The version Arranged by John Baker with real instruments is simply perfect but... I dont know if is original of John Baker or not).

Sorry for my poor english.
Definitely agreed. South Town is one of my favorite tracks out of Headdy.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is good too, though it was a bit of a pain to rip all those songs. I think Squarewave had to bribe me with some Black Black to get that to happen.

Ristar! Underrated soundtrack. So much so that I redid one of the songs from it for fun.

ToeJam & Earl 2 is nice as well. Probably my favorite one out of that OST is Boomin' Bump.

Firebrandx wrote:65k votes for Strider is blatant spamming when you consider the next highest game only has about 3k votes. The "Oh hey, I remember that game!" argument only works if you see games like Sonic or Streets of Rage with 100k votes, which you don't. Nobody went ape-shit for the Strider soundtrack back when it was new, nor do they now. It's not this amazing phenomenon that everyone's gotta have Strider music, especially since the music was actually quite weak.
Well, the rating is a bit pointless, as it don't affect much, but... you're probably right.

That game's votes have been reset, as was apparently a spam DL (Itchy and Scratchy with 173,795 DLs? Ha...) and there was also a bug affecting the "most/least voted" bits.
Quaze
New Around Here

Post by Quaze »

I refuse to select anything from either Gunstar Heroes or Ristar, as there's too many gems in there to highlight just one (or five, for that matter). That aside, in alphabetical order...
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - 2 Player vs.
  • Golden Axe III - Ride the Whirlwind
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Final Boss
  • Streets of Rage 2 - Expander
  • Thunder Force IV - Because You're the Number One

Incidentally, I just checked the "Date added" column on the Sunset Riders set. Seriously, that's just depressing.