Your top 5 favorite VGM tracks.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Dark Pulse wrote:I find her so. Out of that particular game's characters (a fairly large cast) she would be my favorite.

Although this person is second:

Which game is that? I really like the art style.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Quaze wrote:Incidentally, I just checked the "Date added" column on the Sunset Riders set. Seriously, that's just depressing.
If you don't mind my asking, why is this depressing?
DeepChild wrote:Which game is that? I really like the art style.
Well, that's fanart, but the girl is a character from the game - her name is Yumizuka Satsuki.

The game is, as that picture tried to spell, "Tsukihime." It's a visual novel, where you're reading a story and occasionally presented with choices that affect how the story flows. It's about ten years old, so the art style is a bit primitive, but there's a remake coming out this year supposedly... in Japanese, of course.

Some art from the actual game itself:

That said, the artist who did the art got a *LOT* better within just a few years. As an example, I present a picture from the project that came out after Tsukihime (and one that's a fair bit more better known), 2004's Fate/stay night:

And this would be something even more recent of his, 2009, for the light novel (and later OVA) series, Kara no Kyoukai. As it's a massive 9 MB picture (and 2,825 × 4,133) I'll just link to it directly, since my [screenshot] BBCode isn't doing it properly due to unicode characters, and linking with [img] would just destroy this page's layout:

http://darkpulse.project2612.org/karanokyoukai/%e7%a9%ba%e3%81%ae%e5%a2%83%e7%95%8c%20~The%20Garden%20of%20Sinners~%20Vol.%205%20-%20Mujun%20Rasen%20-%20Paradox%20Paradigm./3.jpg

It's amazing how much better people can get in a mere decade... and yes, this is the same artist in all three of these games/stories. The same writer, as well.
Quaze
New Around Here

Post by Quaze »

Dark Pulse wrote:If you don't mind my asking, why is this depressing?

It feels like, at the absolute most, maybe three years ago. How time flies. Alas, I don't have the original rips anymore!
brother-ernest
New Around Here

Post by brother-ernest »

1. Thunder Force 4 - Sand Hell, Space Walk, The Sky Line, Great Sea Power, Fighting Back ( I CANNOT choose between them its all or none lol.)

2. Gunstar Heroes - Good Night Baby.

3. Shinobi 3 - Inner Darkside / Izayoi / Shinobi Walk / Solitary

4. Kid Chameleon - Mountain Area

5. Quack Shot - Viking Ship / Locomotion

Sorry for my lack of narrowing down. They're just too great to not include
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

Well, instead of going philosophical I'm going to post my top vgms soundtracks (hard to pick 5 songs, seriously)

1. Comix Zone Beta (The retail soundtrack sucks compared to the Beta, which is ironic)
2. World of Illusion Starring Mickey and Donald
3. Action 52 (I can't believe I'm saying this... but the game has really good music.)
4. Top Gear 2
5. Reserved for a VGM set that is not up yet (Pagemaster, Risk, Jelly Boy, Olympic Summer or Winter Games, Art Alive... it could be any of these.)

I would have added these: Sonic 2, 3 Spinball, Dr. Robotnick's Bean Machine, Virtual Pinball, Gauntlet lV, Ristar, Flashback, Eartworm Jim 2, and a few more.
enkay
New Around Here

Post by enkay »

I hope I'm not reviving a dead thread... but I just can't resist sharing some of my favorite Genesis VGM tracks.

For my list, I wanted to cover some games that weren't mentioned yet. So in no particular order...

DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

This is what passes for a "hot topic" these days, so no worries about zombie threads IMO ;)

Thanks for bringing Eternal Champions back to my attention!
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

Actually, I do like the Comix Zone non-beta soundtrack now that I listened to it a bit more. Anything from the 1990's gets an A+ in my book.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

Comix Zone's soundtrack is pretty damn good. I'd give some specific examples, but I'm on campus right now, not at home.

Obviously, it'd sound a fair bit better if the audio chips were better emulated. Then there'd be none of that DOOT-DOOT-DOOT stuff that currently plagues it.
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

Come to think of it... I was playing Comix Zone on my Model 2 yesterday, and I could swear there are a few songs not in the VGM set.