Updated VGM input plugin v0.35

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

You mean all that stuff about VGMs and their chips?

I think it started all when I began to modify Jensen's vgm2mid. I wanted to improve the PSG support.
A short time after I registered on SMSPower I also made a VGM mod for NeoPop, the NGP emulator. I already forgot why, but I already made it log MIDIs. (I love MIDIs)
I think it was so easy to make the VGM mod that I began play with the source of MAME, got some GYMs logged and later VGMs.
Because some people asked for proper logs of OutRun (Arcade version) I implemented the SegaPCM chip into the vgm format and wrote a VGM player with MAME's sound cores.
Seeing how well it all worked, I continued to work on the vgm format.
The VGM Logging with other Emulators-thread documents quite a lot of the story.

I learned (and am still learning) quite a lot of things by reading the source code of others' tools and programs and of course by writing my own ones. So I learned some YM2612-commands when I wrote my VGM Compressor and vgm2txt.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I updated in_vgm. It's now almost as good as VGMPlay.

Enjoy!
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Re: Updated VGM input plugin v0.35

Post by Dark Pulse »

Almost, eh.

When will it be "as good?" :p
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Then you'll be able to set the output sample rate via dialog (and not just via ini-file), there're muting tabs for all chips (or at least chip families) and maybe some other options VGMPlay has.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Ouch! :(

Glad to see the progress, but can you please reduce the volume? Or configurable?
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Oh, sorry. I replaced the section I patched before and forgot about the volume-patch.
Please download again. It's now fixed.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot: as good as VGMPlay - there's a slider to control the volume :p
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Thank you! Sonic CD still clips, though. Metallic Madness, for example.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Valleybell, will you please enable/add (optional) configurable channel panning in each chip for the next release of VGM input plugin? It can extend the playback life of the chiptunes. ;)
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Sorry, but there's no way I'm doing that. There are 32 (!) chips and many of them have native stereo support.
Also I have more important things to work on, like all the tools that help to rip VGMs.

You get panning for PSG and YM2413 chips (although only for certain emulators) and that's all.

But of course you can always start learning C and add panning by yourself. I'm accepting code changes. ;)
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Since the panning code is already in there (for the SN76489 and the YM2413, assuming you didn't remove it completely) maybe I'll take a whack at it someday. Tinkering is what I do best. :p