Updated VGM input plugin v0.35

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Updated VGM input plugin v0.40

Post by ValleyBell »

I guess I should announce in_vgm 0.40 here, too. ;)
SmartOne

Re: Updated VGM input plugin v0.35

Post by SmartOne »

Thank you! Time to test the typical problem tracks. Castlevania Bloodlines "All Clear" clips when the volume is set to 1.0. Accurate/intentional?
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

100% yes.
It's one of the few VGMs that clip. Most VGMs (not only MegaDrive, but in general) tend to be too quiet, so I set the volume the "best average" volume.
If is clips, you can turn the volume down, or use the VGM's internal volume modifier. (That is, if I finally make vgm_ptch extend the v1.50 header.)

I have a lot of other accuracy problems - the YM2612 still causes me headaches because it doesn't seem to work right with some of VGM Maker's VGMs and even some logged ones.

and btw: If I have the choice between me being constantly annoyed by low-volume VGMs and you complaning about a few VGMs that clip, I prefer clipping (and a volume slider).
Sorry :p
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

"Complaining" has a negative connotation. I'm not complaining. I reported an issue with the intent of getting an explanation, which you provided. And my "complaining" is not constant.

Since you've made the decision to make some average volume correspond to 1.0, which value is the most accurate volume for the hardware? This is important information which should be provided to get the most accurate output.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I didn't say that you constantly complain - I said quiet playback would constantly annoy me. That's "sometimes" vs. "always".

About accurate volumes: You can't get accurate digital values from analog devices (e.g. DAC or mixer), there's always some rounding. (E.g. a computer can't store 1/3, it stores sums of 2^x that are just quite close.)

The YM2612 chip itself is digital and the emulation core outputs values between -49 152 and +49 152 (8192 * 6), which is what you get with volume 1.0.
All that's known about the PSG is, that it's volume works in 2.0 db steps. The emulation core outputs values between -16384 and +16384.

All in all that makes a maximum of plus-minus 65 536. 16-bit wave data can handle -32 768 to +32 767, so you're on the 100% safe side if you set the volume to 0.5.
Blitz Lunar

Post by Blitz Lunar »

It's been about a year since I last followed progress with this plugin ~ is there a solution for fb2k yet? The files still don't work in foo_gep unfortunately.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

I don't know of any.
But the author of foo_gep still seems to be actively working on it. Maybe you can ask him to support at least the RF5C164 chip.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

The link to the plugin on the Home page is outdated.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Well ... and what are you going to do to fix this?
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Well ... and what are you going to do to fix this?