SNEs SPCs or SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive VGMS

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.

What shall I do?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 am

Continue hacking SNES games for SPCs
11%
Start hacking Geneis games for VGMS
89%

Total votes: 9

nensondubois

SNES SPCs or SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive VGMS

Post by nensondubois »

I've seen a recent spur of activity in the VGM scene, so I'm going to ask the community what I should do: Spend my time with my current plans to hack Super Nintendo games to find unused music or start hacking SEGA Genesis games to find unused music and support the site by logging several VGM sets that do not exist yet. I'm giving this 90 days to hopefully give most people a chance to vote. For now, I will continue with SPCs until a decision has been made. If for some reason a tie occurs, I will cast my vote. Even it has been decided that VGMS are the way to go, I will still hack for SPCs, but much less. I can't do both because I don't have the time, and I'll probably have even less time in the near future.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I think this forum is biased. ;)
Blitz Lunar

Post by Blitz Lunar »

either works for me. snesmusic seems to be doing just fine while updates on this site have been stagnant for a long time.
Yawackhary

Post by Yawackhary »

I don't know how much SNES music is left (I imagine that there isn't much considering how Snesmusic seems to be active and there are a few games that don't support the SPC standard like FIFA that can't be ripped at this moment in time) but I do know that there's still quite a fair bit of Genesis games that haven't been ripped or is missing music including some well known titles.

Besides I like to see more VGMs in the future no matter who rips them.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

Doesn't SNSF handle the weird games?
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

SNSF is extremely choppy and thus it falls into the 'failed' formats graveyard. No one has even bothered with SNSF in quite a few years.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

I think both are good. Obviously I listen to SPCs and VGMs, as well as just about any of the other major emulated music formats, such as the xSF sets and even a bit of streamed stuff.

That said, I'm definitely not the one of the founders with ROM hacking experience - that was Squarewave, and he's mostly moved on to greener pastures. If someone else is willing to do that level of work, I would certainly welcome it.
nensondubois

Post by nensondubois »

Looks like I'll be spending a bit of my resources on Sega Genesis hacking, but I have one main problem: There is no real-time debugger which would effectively make me lose patience in the general hacking aspect due to the cost of time of reading ASM logs.

Here are the first four sets I have planned:
Art Alive
Olympic Summer Games
PGA Tour Golf
Risk or Frogger
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

You're right, there aren't any good MegaDrive debuggers. The best one (gensKmod) doesn't even let you edit the RAM. Viewing and dumping, that's it.
At least you can use some hex-editor to open gens' RAM to edit the emulated RAM, but that's quite annoying.

If you don't already know it, you may find this list quite useful.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

I know Squarewave used HazeMD, and I think he also used MESS at some points.

That said, there is a program called ArtMoney. It's normally a generic game trainer, but it has options for a few Genesis emulators, that'll let you search for certain values and show what the address would be in emulated RAM. Debugger, though, I don't think so.