Creating Genesis Music within FL studio.

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
deslacoda
New Around Here

Creating Genesis Music within FL studio.

Post by deslacoda »

Whatever you opinions on the practice, I try to create Sega Megadrive style music in my FL studio software. I use a VST called VOPM and a soundfont to simulate the sound on the hardware within the real machine. I understand that this may not be most authentic way to do it but I don't have the skill to work what I want either way.

However, I was wondering if the people here could help me out with my projects. I want to understand the capabilities of the hardware better. My current understanding of the software is as follows:-

- 4 FM channels, capable of 4 notes playable at the same time.
- 3 PSG channels, unknown notes playable at the same time.
- 1 DAC channel for samples, unknown number playable at once. sample rate roughly 7k

I'd like to know what I'm mistaken in, what I'm missing and perhaps some links to places that can help me create a more authentic sound. thank you in advance

For those interested, here's previous works trying to emulate the sound:

MD mix - Stockholm Syndrome

Original MD tune - Caught in the Void.
WizardTheme
New Around Here

Post by WizardTheme »

Wow, that sounds really cool. :D My only complaint would be the bass, which is a little too loud in the mix (on my stereo at least) and could maybe use less tremolo. Other than that, great track.
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Chips can use all their channels at once. So there's:

YM2612: 6 channels, all FM or 5 FM + 1 DAC
SN76496: 4 channels, 3 square waves + 1 fixed-freq noise or 2 square + 1 (variable-freq noise or 1/16th duty cycle square)

The DAC can only play one sample but in theory you could software-mix as many as you like. In practice, it'd sound terrible.

The specifics of the types of FM you can do in the YM2612 are quite complicated. It is restricted so worth figuring out (it's rather beyond me) if you want that "authentic sound".
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

"Stockholm Syndrome" has nice sound, quite cool. The drums is the only thing that doesn't sound very Genesis-ish.
wounderaser
New Around Here

Post by wounderaser »

i like it a lot. i also use vopm.
do you have a bank of presets that you import into vopm? i'm looking to get those. i am not too familiar with configuring it and trying to match my own.
basically something that can preset like "bass 1, bass 2, bass 3" etc. i have a small one now called "tone opm files" but they're not good enough.. haha
walterhunt
New Around Here

Post by walterhunt »

I think those are great! I also like VOPM, and have been using it more and more, as it has 4 operators much like the 2612. For drums, i just rip the drum samples from games I like, such as the somic series, streets of rage, etc.

Here's a terrible example of an early attempt.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/172557
dissident93
Been Here for a Bit

Re: Creating Genesis Music within FL studio.

Post by dissident93 »

So I use random MIDI and put it through VOPM, only problem is the MIDI patch number changes. So I can't keep, for example, a FM bass over the MIDI bass because every time I try to restart the song, it goes back to 35/36 (midi bass).

Any help?