.vgz files to .mp3

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
graphonaut
New Around Here

.vgz files to .mp3

Post by graphonaut »

H Everyone - new to the site & blown away by all of the music here.

I have a problem - with only limited computer access (i.e. filtered, through work), I can't download Winamp to convert these awesome .vgz files to .mp3. Can anyone email me zipped .mp3s for "Shinobi 3" & "Shadowdancer"? I've been wanting recordings of this music since I had my megadrive!

And yeah, I've looked all over the net for mp3s of this stuff, but it's all scams & crap. Unless anyone has a link?

Also, does anyone know if this music was ever re-done with real instruments, or otherwise improved? I"d love to hear that stuff.

thanks so much for helping me out!
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Re: .vgz files to .mp3

Post by ValleyBell »

Is it okay if you have to convert vgm/vgz to wav to mp3?

If so, then do this:
To convert vgm/vgz to wav, download VGMPlay, open VGMPlay.ini and set LogSound = 1. (You also may want to set SampleRate = 44100, because most mp3s use that rate and many tools would just convert 48KHz to 44.1 KHz during the wav to mp3 conversion.)

Then drop the .m3u-file on VGMPlay.exe and it will convert all vgm/vgz files to wav.

Now you have to convert the wav files to mp3.
If you have nothing to do that, you can use BeSweet. It's a commandline tool, but there are GUIs for it. I usually use BeLight. (This is the lastest version I could find. I know it's very old.)
I'm sure there are other tools, but I usually use Audacity to make mp3s.

EDIT: LAME is very good and still updated and there are some GUIs listed in the Links section.
graphonaut
New Around Here

Post by graphonaut »

Thanks a lot for your advice, but my work PC (the only one available) can't open .rar. files, which is the extension VGMPlay is downloaded as.

Do you have any other ideas? Really appreciate it!!! I f*ckin love this music.

Is not one willing to send me some .zipped mp3s? I can open .zip files.
HasteInTime
New Around Here

Post by HasteInTime »

I may be new here too but if your looking for a free way to do everything. You could do .Wav to .Mp3 or "Record" the sound and save it as a Mp3 file with software like Sony's Vegas Studio. MSRP is 60$, I have it & I'm currently looking into ways to record the sound by each track to MP3, looped ones can be shortened to 4:00 minutes for track by track play & Longer versions for 8:00 to 12:00 minutes. Why has no one thought of this I wonder? My only worry would be sound loss issues, which for me it's easy enough to get around usually. If I'm successful enough I'll report my findings here first in a new-topic thread, called Project "Cassius".

Also for unzipping zipped, RAR, 7Zip or any other file types try "TugZip" here: http://www.tugzip.com/Home.html its a free file unzipping and compression program.
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

Well, if you can't open rar-files, I recommend 7-Zip Portable.
The installer is just some sort of self-extracting package, so user rights are enough.
graphonaut
New Around Here

Post by graphonaut »

Goddamnit. This isn't looking easy...
ValleyBell
Board Regular

Post by ValleyBell »

What's so difficult?

The steps are:
1. "Install" (unpack) 7-Zip Portable somewhere (e.g. your MP3 player, so you don't need to "reinstall" it everytime)
2. Use 7-zip to unpack VGMPlay.
3. vgm -> wav with VGMPlay
4. wav -> mp3 with RazorLame
5. Done. (sorry, no 3 steps)

I personally would keep the tools on the MP3 player and store the music on the computer's HD while converting, because wave file are very large.