most underrated Genesis soundtracks

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
Dark Pulse
Board Regular

Post by Dark Pulse »

MycroProcessor wrote:Many of my choices for this have been listed already:

Pulseman - I'm assuming this game is far more well known here than anywhere else due to Pulseman being the mascot of this site. Anyways the soundtrack is awesome with some of my favorite sounds being used, very nicely fits the computer theme of the game with all of the fast ostinatos present in much of it.
Probably due to me. I'm the one who wanted to make Pulseman the mascot. :p

If it spread some love about the game, then I'm glad for it. I know it's on Virtual Console for the Wii now (even stateside!) so that gives those who aren't into emulation for some reason or another a chance to play it. It's a game I still think few people have really heard of, but once they see it they won't forget it.

Agreed on Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster as well.
Q of Death
Location: The suburbs of Detroit. It's worse than they say on the news...

Post by Q of Death »

Here's one that I notice has an unfairly low score, Bevis and Butthead. Now, granted I'm a musician, and us musicians tend to have tastes that aren't quite the same as everyone else, but If you can't get into a groove like turbo mall 2000, or pets-r-us (it's really hokey and retarded, it's supposed to be, if you don't get it then you've never seen the show, or have no sense of humor) Not to mention the Gwar song... I could list tracks all day that happen to kick ass, yet this particular listing has a score in the 4's. Obviously most people are into the jappy techno stuff, but who can deny a good groove. And who doesn't love it when a sound chip is trying so hard to make an intense rock sound and it fails to do so, but in a good way. Not to mention, from a musicality standpoint some of the percussion is solid gold. Give it another chance, you guys won't be disappointed.

Another Game with a great soundtrack and a retardedly low score: Sonic Spinball. Listen to Lava powerhouse and Toxic Caves and then shut the hell up. Those are some of the dirtiest, grooviest tracks in the world. I used to rock out for extended periods of time to these songs when I was a little kid, and now I can't stop sampling them.

those 2 games are great games and the music from both is a total jam. IMO of course, but just give them a chance...

Other good pics of mine:
the ooze
shinobi III
adventures of Batman and robin
obviously any of the sonic games
Rocket Knight Adventures
Pulseman
The Incredible Hulk

Just too Many to list, you know? The Genesis had some of the best music ever...
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I agree that those have some good tunes, but they're hard to compare to "full-sounding" games like Rocket Knight Adventures.
Q of Death
Location: The suburbs of Detroit. It's worse than they say on the news...

Post by Q of Death »

Well, nobody's gonna get me to bash RKA or anything, and of course I understand your argument. True, Beavis and Butthead has a rather thin sounding soundtrack, but to compare it to RKA or pulseman or many of the other ones wouldn't be the right thing to do. These games were made with an entirely different feel, and lord knows rock is not a easy thing to pull off with a sound chip, it's why you don't hear much music that is actually classified as rock. You shouldn't compare it to anything though, each thing should be looked at as it is, for what it is. It's undeniable that those beats are just as catchy and fun to listen too as some of the ones that might get a higher rating on this site. They are just good beats. Me being a musician, I look at that, rather than how full the sound is or how clear it is. Some of the best music I've ever heard is nasty, low quality music made with a condenser mic in someones garage. Just because it's not got the quality or fullness you've come to expect from other songs doesn't mean it's any worse from a musical standpoint. Minimalism has brought us some of the greatest hits of all time from every genre of music, you don't always need to go all out and fill every empty space with another noise, and thats what I'm trying to get at. Good beats are what they are. Like I said, just give them a chance.
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

I prefer quality minimalism. ;) The improper use of DAC in Beavis and Butthead is a turn off (clicks everywhere and scratchiness.) I wonder if they actually intended it to sound that bad, or if that's all they could produce.