most underrated Genesis soundtracks

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
MisterHarlequin

Post by MisterHarlequin »

I actually get game overs playing alot when my giant playlist shuffles through stuff and yeah, there are some pretty nifty ones.
Zebbe
New Around Here

Post by Zebbe »

Wiz 'n' Liz has some catchy and retro-sounding tunes I really like. I especially enjoy the mysterious Evil Oak track.

Phantasy Star III has some very good tracks, but unfortunately you hear them very seldom compared to the crappy tracks.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

My favs, I'm not too sure how underrated they are (in no particular order) :

*Ristar
*Alien 3
*Mega Turrican
*Verytex
*Contra Hard Corps
*Atomic Runner
*Soleil
*Vapor Trail
*Zero Wing
*Devil Crash MD (Dragon's Fury)
*Thunder Force IV
*Gunstar Heroes
*Dynamite Headdy
*Gleylancer
*Panorama Cotton
*Power Rangers : the Movie
*Super Fantasy Zone

There's probably more that I can't remember.

EDIT : Pulseman !!!
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
Quizzledorf
New Around Here

Post by Quizzledorf »

Target Earth (probably my favorite soundtrack ever)
Thunderforce IV
Gunstar Heroes
DeepChild

Post by DeepChild »

Perhaps more overlooked than underrated, I'd like to point out Langrisser II as a nice set. A lot of the tracks are middle of the road, with a few that really stand out to me.

Oh, and I just picked up on the Master of Monsters recommendation. It's excellent.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

Universal Soldier

is underrated, or just unknown. Has a lot of very good music, not one song that I don't like. Maybe it would appeal to those who like music to Golden Axe 1 and 2. But unlike Golden Axe, there is no brass though, only synth sounds. A bit militaristic sometimes and more minor-key than major key harmonies. JD Rogers and Paul Kenny are the guys behind the music, I guess.

It's a bit in the tradition of C-64 music were the songs could be very long, and there is always music for every detali in the game. For example, the title screen music is a song that's several minutes long. And when you get a new password after completing a level, theres a whole song for that too (several minutes). I LOVE games that have this quality. Storm Warrior for the C-64 is another example of a game that had a very long piece as title screen music.

The game itself would appear as a crappy game, but it's actually nice, not just for the music, but the gameplay is entertaining and the levels are very big. But this is some kind of Turrican rip-off. And there's no logical relation between the movie Universal Soldier and the "story" of the game.
Galivan
New Around Here

Post by Galivan »

stalepie wrote:traysia
gauntlet iv
jewel master
final zone
the immortal
altered beast
langrisser ii
the stickman is back
devil hunter yohko
light crusader
last battle
crack down
quack shot
space harrier ii
super daisenryaku
mystic defender

Hehe! Just a few years ago I was determnined to get hold of Traysia, out of curiosity. It's somewhat hard to get, I think. There's not that many RPG:s for the megadrive. The game turned out to be crap in my humble opinion, and the music too. Very few songs, and very short. And bad.

I don't remember the music for The Immortal. But that's also a game that I got a few years ago. It was dissappointing, so I got rid of it.

But I agree with you on Mystic Defender. There was some cool songs there and it had originality! The composer is supposedly someone called Tarnya.

Light Crusader is one of my favourites, it's stunning. But I don't know if it's underrated. It hasn't been overlooked.... but in a way , most great VG music is more or less underrated.

I'm gonna start listening to the suggestions given in this thread, it's going to be fun. Normally I prefer having played the game, but if the music is really good it should be able to stand well on its own.
Galivan
New Around Here

Universal Soldier - by Chris Hülsbeck

Post by Galivan »

I should add something to my post about Universal Soldier. I have now learned some more about it. It is actually almost the exact same game as Turrican 2 on the Amiga, and the same music. Ballistic had the rights to make a console version of the game and named it Universal Soldier instead. Maybe because there was a "Super Turrican 2" for Super NES wich was a different game than Turrican 2 on the Amiga. So they probably HAD to name it in a different way in order to release it for the Super NES. On the other hand, I read on wikipedia that the Super NES version was never released. So maybe they could have named the megadrive version (the only console version) Turrican 2 if they had wanted.

The music is really composed by Chris Hülsbeck(!) I didn't know that until today. So JD Rogers and Paul Kenny probably rearranged the music for the megadrive version.

The C-64 version, by the way, has different music made by someone else, judging from a Youtube clip.

Here's some video from the Amiga version: youtube.com/watch?v=aooHpUe5e3A

The interesting thing with all this is that people seem to love Turrican 2, hailing it as a masterpiece, but no one talks about Universal Soldier wich is the same game, apart from minor changes - and I think the music sounds better on the megadrive!
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

I agree on Altered beast.
Dynamite Headdy? That had good music, particularly the bosses/encounters. Earthworm Jim 2. The music was not as good as EJ1, but there were some great tracks, like Lorenzo's soil - proper atmospheric!
And how about Tiny Toon adventures, I think it deserves a mention.
stalepie
Been Here for a Bit

Post by stalepie »

I believe Mega Turrican was personally ported to the Genny by Huelsbeck. It was his sound driver even. It definitely sounds better than the other Turrican games on the system.

Immortal is by Rob Hubbard, another famous composer in the scene. Don't know how you didn't like that game! It's one of my favorites!

People say Jim Power exists on the Genesis, but I think it never went past the beta stage. At least, all the ROMs I find seem to be prototypes because you can easily skip stages and it has other problems. The SNES game on the other hand was of course released. I didn't think it was the terrible game everyone made it out to be and I liked the music a lot. The parallax effects are interesting.

[edit: a quick check at project2612's page on Jim Power shows only a rip of the beta, so obviously it was never finished on this system]

Earthworm Jim 2 sounded better on the SNES, while I thought the first one sounded better on the Genesis.