most underrated Genesis soundtracks

Talk about anything and everything about Sega's 16 Bit console and its addons here - hardware, games, memories. You name it.
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

Bubsy the bobcat is underrated. I particularly like the music on Stage 5
bucky
New Around Here

Post by bucky »

I don't know about underrated, but I really dig the following-

Alisia Dragoon
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Jewel Master
Verytex
Warsong

I could never get into The Immortal so much. I had a band that covered a couple songs from the soundtrack even... I just always preferred the NES version.

I'll have to check out more of these!
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

Super fantasy star
SmartOne

Post by SmartOne »

You mean "Super Fantasy Zone?"
Kokujin
Been Here for a Bit

Post by Kokujin »

killtodeath08 wrote:Super fantasy star

That scared me for a second.
killtodeath08
New Around Here

Post by killtodeath08 »

SmartOne wrote:You mean "Super Fantasy Zone?"

Yeah.:roll: The one with the tiny flying shuttle where you shoot stuff. I am mildly dislexic... Sometimes I piss pronunciate my worms...
mordomo

Post by mordomo »

stalepie wrote:...
the stickman is back

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]I feel obliged to up this topic.
People should have asked, "but what hell is this game?".
The Stickman is Back is a never released game for MD with music composed by Yuzo Koshiro. The game actually is probably non dumped. So there is no way to listen the tracks game?
Not exactly. Searching more, i found this thread on bombergames forum that according to the information on it, the tracks 26-39 from the album Early Collection 2nd - Yuzo Koshiro launched in 1998 are from the game.
So, as I did not find that disk anywhere, i found that, or a more direct link.

And my question is: What is the period that information about the game emerged?[/color]
CyberRazorCut
New Around Here

Post by CyberRazorCut »

Just stumbled upon this website via some Red Zone tunes on Youtube, great stuff.

I had a read of this thread, and don't remember these being mentioned:

The Terminator - I didn't actually mind this game (I remember being quite upset when Mean Machines gave it 46% or something....then I got my dad to buy it for me anyway). Level 1 (of only 5...sorry dad) stands out in particular, the others are so-so.

I've not got much knowledge of what's rated highly really, except the obvious Yuzo Koshiro soundtracks etc, but El Viento was a game I spent a fair bit of time on in the sound test. Likewise Sword of Vermillion is probably held in high regard, but I'm only guessing and I didn't see it here.

Soleil had some great tracks.

Sagai/Darius II

World of Illusion has been mentioned, but as an interesting aside, I got into the music for this one from watching a free VHS tape first...either from Mean Machines Sega or The Official Sega Magazine I believe, and the minecart level originally had music that differed slightly from the final game, to the point where I was a little disappointed with the rearranged ditty. I actualy think Castle of Illusion on the Master System has the best Disney-related Sega tunes (but then I think Sonic on the MS has the best Sonic soundtrack ever, so maybe I just dig that sound chip).

Oh, and Puggsy had a cool soundtrack.
MycroProcessor

Post by MycroProcessor »

Many of my choices for this have been listed already:

Pulseman - I'm assuming this game is far more well known here than anywhere else due to Pulseman being the mascot of this site. Anyways the soundtrack is awesome with some of my favorite sounds being used, very nicely fits the computer theme of the game with all of the fast ostinatos present in much of it.

Socket - A very nice upbeat soundtrack that fits with the game very well. This has plenty of stuff in the panning, delays and modulation of the sounds used to make this sound great. Also, the chord progressions used in this music I find very enjoyable.

Battle Mania Daiginjou - Same team as Socket musically and great for all of the same reasons, though definitely different in style.

Granada- Probably my favorite Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack, and he's often who I consider to be my favorite composer. Everything is so awesome to listen to with this soundtrack, especially all of the 6/8 stuff and other unusual time signatures. There are awesome melodies and really enjoyable to listen to fast stuff in this. The progressive rock influence is obvious, and makes the sound of this very nice.

Jewel Master - Amazing progressive rock influenced style for this awesome soundtrack, many of my top favorite individual video game tracks come from this.

ResQ - Possibly the most underrated soundtrack ever in my opinion due to the game never being released. Also Matt Furniss does what I think is the some of the best ever use of the YM2612 with all of the ambient style that this has on so many of the tracks. As for what's not ambient here, it's incredibly fun to listen to with an awesome mix of everything.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Some of my favorite sounds are used here, everything is modulated in a way that always works well with the melody or whatever it's being used on. This may be what I consider the best use of the YM2612 chip. A nice very soundtrack, and one of the best.

Sparkster - The music from this is pretty varied, but is certainly a soundtrack that I think uses some great balance of instruments, everything always feels full. I don't really know how to describe the awesomeness of this one, but I love it, some of the best Genesis/Mega Drive music there is in my opinion.

Others that come to mind are also Pachinko Kuunyan, McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, European League Soccer (World Trophy Soccer, J-League Champion Soccer) and Puggsy.
Yawackhary

Post by Yawackhary »

Mycro is now on here? It's a small world... Anyway, I agree on the games on what he said. Might as well give a few of mine.

Daffy Duck in Hollywood - Considering the game was only released in Europe and Austrailia, not that many people have played or even heard it.

Winter Olympics - A quite bad/mediocre sports game that has quite relaxed yet also powerful tracks. I can't really describe it very well but it is much better than the SNES version.

Micro Machines series - The games maybe famous but I haven't hear of anyone commenting on the music which I find to be pretty good.

The Hybrid Front - I quite like the style and voice samples in the tracks.

Also strangely considering the hate it gets I also like Sonic Eraser.